1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using the word Windows in a website name

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by GjB, Nov 20, 2016.

According to Microsoft, we are not allowed or supposed to use a Microsoft brand name in a web site name or on social media in certain circumstances. For example they say it's not OK to say Skype forum, but it is OK to say Forum for Skype.
    I understand this and I'm not complaining about it. I had considered changing a site to the name Windows-for-everyone.com which would clearly state no affiliation with Microsoft (a domain name I paid for anyway in the past, before having done any research.)

In your opinion would it be wrong, unethical, and even stupid of me to even try to use that name? Of course I wouldn't and shouldn't stand a chance if it's breaking the rules.. I'm just curious about people's opinions, and expectations about using brand names in headings, names and titles, that's all.

GjB, Nov 20, 2016 IP
  2. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you will sell Windows products, you may have a problem.

Either way they have much more $$ for lawyers than you, so they may just go after you, and you will have to hand over the domain so you don't have to get a lawyer to fight them.

pmf123, Nov 20, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. GjB

GjB Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah. Thanks. The site is only a hobby and nothing is sold. Just simple info like audio players for Windows, Start Menus, Windows 10 stuff, information for beginners, etc. Thanks. I use the word computers, but really the word Windows is more accurate because the site content is about PCs, apps and stuff, as opposed to MAC, Linux, etc. Plus the word computers nowadays is less meaningful, with mobile devices all over the place, too.

Thanks for your opinion. I hope others chime in. As for money, they might feel sorry for me and give me a new Surface Studio or something. Cheers

GjB, Nov 20, 2016 IP
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    When you take on the possibility of having a 600-pound gorilla like Microsoft sic their legal team on you, it should be worrisome for you. Here is the deal: you could go years and years without coming up on Microsoft's radar screen, put in a lot of time and energy on this website, and watch its traffic grow and grow. Then, when the site becomes very popular, Microsoft will see it and send a boatload of lawyers after you. Right or wrong, they will wear you down, cost you way too much money and eventually wrest the website from you (often without ever getting into court.) Even for a hobby, I do not understand why you would want to start up something, invest time/money into it, etc., when its very existence is tenuous from the beginning.

jrbiz, Nov 21, 2016 IP
  5. GjB

GjB Member

Best Answers:
    You're quite right, and I agree. I was mostly curious about people's opinions on the subject, so thanks very much.

GjB, Nov 21, 2016 IP