1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

using robots.txt during development

Discussion in 'robots.txt' started by dshah, Dec 15, 2005.

I am working on my site and its not READY for the whole world yet. Is it good idea to block search engines spider the in-dev site using robots.txt

During dev, lot of URLs may change often and I don't want search engines hitting on those URL later resulting in 404s

Is it okay to have robots.txt block search engine spiders, but later remove robots.txt. Does blocking spiders using robots.txt has any long term ill-effects (like permenantly marked not be indexed, crawled etc)

any inputs are welcome.

dshah, Dec 15, 2005 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'm really not certain how long a spider block normally lasts although in another thread (about WebMasterWorld blocking Googlebot) it was suggested that normally the time period is 6 months. Unless your site is going to be in development for 6 months, that's a heavy price to pay for a few broken links and under construction pages.

minstrel, Dec 17, 2005 IP
    dshah likes this.
  3. dshah

dshah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    whoa, 6 months is AGES. Seems that I surely can't pay such price. I have to locally develop the whole site and put it on at once, or at least have phased release.

Thanks for your inputs

dshah, Dec 18, 2005 IP