1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using PHP to protect an XML config file with .htaccess

Discussion in 'PHP' started by Rory M, Jan 9, 2011.

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some viewpoints here. I currently have a .xml file that I'm using to hold configuration data, some of which is sensitive (database password and username for example). Currently I've made it inaccessible through htaccess, which in theory should be sufficient?

If the script was ever to either come under attack or be distributed where people might for whatever reason break or delete the htaccess protection I had attempted to make it 'self repairing' - ie the index.php file checks to see if the .htaccess both exists and matches the MD5 hash which it should be and if not re-writes itself to the correct value. This has hit a stone-wall though, as both fopen() and rename() return 'Permission Denied' when attempting to open a . (hidden) file. I can't think of any way round this - any suggestions?

Even if we were to get that mechanism working properly as above, if an attacker was able to delete or change the .htaccess file then they could read the xml config file as long as index.php wasn't accessed beforehand (which would repair the .htaccess).

So I'm wondering if some sort of redundant encryption on sensitive fields is a good idea? A thought I have just had is perhaps storing the XML value as a reference to a PHP variable, eg

<db-password>$database_password</db-password>
    HTML:
    Which would presumably then be stored safely in a PHP file - not the most of elegant solutions though :(

I'd love any suggestions at this point. I mean I realise that if an attacker has the ability to delete the .htaccess file then they in all likelihood have enough access to download settings.xml directly - am I being over paranoid here?

Thanks a lot as always xD

Rory M, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  2. ssmm987

ssmm987 Member

Best Answers:
    A simple Xor encryption should do the work.

ssmm987, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  3. kokarat

kokarat Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Can you example code ?

kokarat, Apr 23, 2011 IP