1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using php mail for a large newsletter

Discussion in 'PHP' started by sharpweb, Jan 10, 2006.

I am looking to email out a large newsletter from a website that is on a shared host. There will be close to 1000 recipients. Every newsletter will be exactly the same. I have two major concerns:

1) how can I get past as many junk mail filters as possible (the users would have left a send me your newsletter box ticked so they want the newsletter)?

2) if I send the mail to my own account and bcc in all the recipients, how many recipients per email should I limit it to?

This will be the first time I've attempted a newsletter on this scale and I want to make sure that as many people as possible receive it.

Thanks!

sharpweb, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  2. HolyMan

HolyMan Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Sharpweb,

You should have a look at phpLIST from Tincan (http://tincan.co.uk/phplist).

I found it took a bit of configuration and a little more trial and error, but once working, it delivers beautifully. It's quick and has some really great features....

Cheers

HolyMan, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  3. sharpweb

sharpweb Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks. That software looks good, problem is that we already have our mailing list ready. More will be added in the future, as they signup. I've also created the newsletter and all that with php all I need to do now is send it.

I just want to make sure it gets to as many users as possible and doesn't get snagged by junkmail filters or I don't send it to too many at a time and some get lost.

Any ideas?

sharpweb, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  4. blinxdk

blinxdk Peon

Best Answers:
    What I do is that I have the recipients email and name in a database, so I fetch it from there, then for every email address I run a mail() function to send it out, so everyone will get a personalised email with their own name and To: address and it won't look so much like a bulk mailing.

Then before I send the mail, I test it with my own email account which is on a server with spamassassin and amavisd - I'll then check if those two complains about the mail and see what anti-spam rules it might trigger and adjust the email accordingly.

blinxdk, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  5. dave487

dave487 Peon

Best Answers:
    For 1000 people you are best using Outlook and just adding all the recipients as a bcc, I do this and it works fine.

dave487, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  6. blinxdk

blinxdk Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I do it my way for around 30.000 subscriptions (via. a dedicated postfix smtpd server) - that works fine too :)

blinxdk, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  7. sharpweb

sharpweb Guest

Best Answers:
    won't the junkmail filters block you if you do this?

8. sharpweb

sharpweb Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't have access to change the script timeout on my server so I may run into problems

I like that idea.

9. blinxdk

blinxdk Peon

Best Answers:
    If you don't have something like that readily availible yourself, feel free to try and send your newsletter to me and I'll check what my server says.

Email is in profile.

blinxdk, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  10. dave487

dave487 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have used it to send 1000 with no problems......it is not possible for any of the recipients to know how many other recipients there are so the spam filters won't have a problem with it.

dave487, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  11. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    T0PS3O, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  12. sharpweb

sharpweb Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks...I might just do that

13. sharpweb

sharpweb Guest

Best Answers:
    Turns out I can turn on Spam Assassin on one of my mail servers. Here are the results:
    My conclusion is that The HTML is the main problem and maybe I should have a simple text message with a link to a webpage....does that sound like a good idea???

14. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    most isps run 4-5 for spam detection. Also 50-60% html is pretty high...

Shoemoney, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  15. blinxdk

blinxdk Peon

Best Answers:
    This is the results I got:

X-Spam-Status: Yes, hits=5.9 tagged_above=-999.0 required=5.0 tests=BAYES_99, DNS_FROM_RFC_WHOIS, EXCUSE_3, EXCUSE_7, HTML_50_60, HTML_MESSAGE, MIME_HTML_MOSTLY, MPART_ALT_DIFF

What is says is:

BAYES_99: Bayesian analysis against previous spam that I have recieved is a pretty good match, you can't really do that much about this one.

DNS_FROM_RFC_WHOIS: Your sending domain is listed in rfc-ignorant.org for a non working abuse account, this should be fixed. You can go to rfc-ignorant.org and search for the domain (opentransfers.com) to see proof of why it was listed.

EXCUSE_3: The rule for this is: /to (?:be removed|be deleted|no longer receive th(?:is|ese) messages?) (?:from|send|reply|[e-]*mail)/i - it is this line that triggers it: "If you wish to be removed from this mailing list"

MPART_ALT_DIFF: The text and html versions of your email are different.

EXCUSE_7: The rule for this is: /you (?:wish|want|would like|desire) to be removed/i - it is the same line as EXCUSE_3 that triggers that one too.

blinxdk, Jan 13, 2006 IP
    sharpweb likes this.
  16. sharpweb

sharpweb Guest

Best Answers:
    ya i put on the ultra high settings...pretty drunk now will lokk in morn

really appreciate all the replys

sharpweb, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  17. arnek

arnek Active Member

Best Answers:
    drunk ?? hehe

I've heard that you can import your existing lists into PHPList and handles then you just use PHPList for the unsubscibe function.

I like the feature where you can tell it to fetch a website page for a newsletter, and it does the rest.

Another cool feature I saw on their feature list is domain throttling and you can set how many emails you wanna send per hour.

This is really amazing products if you ask me and open source too(GPL)

arnek, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  18. sharpweb

sharpweb Guest

Best Answers:
    Ended up with a mean hang over!

Does 50-60% html mean that much of the email was html code?

And in the errors my version of spam assassin gave me how do I fix this " 0.4 MPART_ALT_DIFF BODY: HTML and text parts are different" ... the html is bound to be different from the text!!!

sharpweb, Jan 15, 2006 IP
  19. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    means 50-60% was encapsulated in html not necessarily mark up language

Shoemoney, Jan 15, 2006 IP
  20. sharpweb

sharpweb Guest

Best Answers:
    sharpweb, Jan 22, 2006 IP