1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using PHP Include

Discussion in 'PHP' started by Crusader, Sep 11, 2005.

When using the PHP include function to include for example, the navigation code for a html page, would it be best to save the code in a html or normal txt file:

E.g

<?php
    include("menu.txt");
    ?>

or

<?php
    include("menu.html");
    ?>

Would there be any difference?

Crusader, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    No difference as far as PHP is concerned. It's all the same. It just grabs the contents and deposits it right there and then. I always name them .inc - on most servers you can't call .inc in the browser directly so you don;t get any indexed gibberish.

T0PS3O, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  3. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah, ok. That's actually a great idea. I was worried about search engines indexing one of these files. So that'll put a stop to it. Thanx!

4. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    Is there any other drawbacks or bonusses (except for making the site easier to manage) to using the include in this way? Eg. Does it affect search engines in any way?

5. alext

alext Active Member

Best Answers:
    Since the file gets included before anything is published, no one, including a search engine would ever know a file was included. So it will make no difference at all.

alext, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  6. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I don't know why I didn't start using it MUCH sooner. It's great!

7. pcdoc

pcdoc Active Member

Best Answers:
    Since the file gets included before anything is published, no one, including a search engine would ever know a file was included. So it will make no difference at all.

Exactly, I use it on most all my sites for footers and adsense code.

pcdoc, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You can however have documents you really don't want indexed, but will be included in other webpages (like the building blocks - footers and headers) stored in other parts of your webspace.

See my article on Secure File Locations - any questions? ask away and I'll answer them as best I can

Sarah

sarahk, Sep 12, 2005 IP
  9. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    NEVER NEVER NEVER name it txt... always a PHP extension. You don't want visitors doing directory scans and then pulling up your code in a txt file. Sarahk's advice is right on the money.. if it is extra-sensitive, store it above the public_html branch so it is never accessible except to your own scripts.

TheHoff, Sep 12, 2005 IP
  10. michele

michele Peon

Best Answers:
    Anything with database usernames and passwords, for example, should always be outside/above the web DocumentRoot directory ... if they were inside the web directory and had a .txt extension, anyone could read them.

Using a .php extension is better, because these files at least get parsed before they're sent, but they're not ideal for sensitive info because it is possible that someone misconfigures the server one day and .php get sent through unparsed ... unlikely but it has happened!

michele, Sep 20, 2005 IP