1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using images in my blog?

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by kzpl23, Oct 16, 2015.

Hi, Im new to blogging and did some research and found out that I cant use google images since they are copyrighted. However, I read some more and came across the fair use right, but im a little confused. My blog is going to be about computers/laptops ect and I will be going over the product and what specs it has and why this or that is good, kinda like a review. But, what images can I use? for instance for laptops, I would like to talk about asus, msi and few others but need some images otherwise its just going to be a block of words. I was wondering if this goes under the fair use right? Or how do all these different websites have the same images and its okay?

I just wanted to ask since Im learning and I rather learn to do it the right way from the start. Thanks!

kzpl23, Oct 16, 2015 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, that does not qualify as fair use. If you want to discuss computers, perhaps you could get manufacturers to let you use some pictures? Otherwise, you will have to take your own or get permission from whoever owns the copyright. You cannot just use other people's pictures in your blog and claim "fair use" because you are not using the picture in any way that constitutes fair use such as discussing the picture itself, which would be sketchy because most fair use claims involve using PART of something such as passages from a book and not an entire work.

You can quote segments from an article and discuss those passages as part of fair use. You cannot publish entire articles and claim fair use. Same thing with pictures.

billzo, Oct 16, 2015 IP
  3. kzpl23

kzpl23 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm, ok so the only way to get picture would be to contact the manufactures and hope they can send me some? I wouldnt mind paying for high quality pictures in order to use them in my blog. But the problem is I don't even know where I can find pictures of specific models of laptops and computers.

kzpl23, Oct 16, 2015 IP
  4. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you took a picture of a computer and you spent a couple hours of your time setting things up and getting the lighting just right, and taking pictures from different angles, cropping and editing, and published the picture on your website, would you be happy if somebody just came along and took your picture for their blog?

You know those "demotivational posters" or those "FAIL" images? I like making them when I have the time and showing them to people. If we could just grab images and use them anyway we wanted, I would be doing that on my own websites and I think some people would enjoy them as much as I do. But I cannot legally take other people's images and use them in my own work and claim fair use. So, I never made a website like that because I cannot acquire images or seek out permission from each and every person I would like to use an image from. It sucks, I know. But you probably would not see a picture of yourself on an "FAIL" poster, would you?

http://copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

And that link discusses using parts of works versus entire works. You would be using an entire image and your discussion would not be related to the image; the image would be used as part of a discussion of something else. That said, in most cases if you do infringe you will get an email asking you to stop using the work and will not get sued. Unless you run across a copyright troll who will send you a letter demanding payment of a few thousand dollars or a lawsuit will be filed in which case you could be liable for damages of up to $150,000 per instance of infringement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

billzo, Oct 16, 2015 IP
  5. kzpl23

kzpl23 Peon

Best Answers:
    ok thanks, thats what I needed to be cleared up. I read that fair use but I did not know it was for only part of the work. It also says criticism and teaching which I would be educating people about the laptop but I guess it means the image itself and not the product the image is showing.

Well this kinda blows... so how do all the other computer sites have all these images, I wouldnt mind taking pictures myself but I cant go around spending 1000 dollars on each laptop.

kzpl23, Oct 16, 2015 IP
  6. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why don't you ask those blogs where they get their pictures from? Or you could take pictures of store display models. Or as I said, as the manufacturer for some pictures. Or you can also check Flickr and other photo sharing sites and ask permission from people if you see a picture you like.

Here is computer maker Dell's copyright statement:

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/uscorp1/site-terms-of-use-copyright

billzo, Oct 16, 2015 IP
  7. kzpl23

kzpl23 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I had the same idea to go to stores and hope they have the model I need on display. But I will try and contact the manufactures and see if they even get back to me. Thanks for the help.

kzpl23, Oct 16, 2015 IP
  8. kzpl23

kzpl23 Peon

Best Answers:
    got one more question some people say to use tineye to track down the source of the image and ask for permission do you know how to do that? Because I tried it but it gives me a lot of pages with the same picture.. so how do I know the original source?

kzpl23, Oct 16, 2015 IP
  9. kzpl23

kzpl23 Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont understand it, like amazon has the pictures, newegg and other sites that are selling the laptop.. so would I just ask them for permission to use the image? Im sooo confused.

kzpl23, Oct 16, 2015 IP
  10. kzpl23

kzpl23 Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay I came up with something else, how about taking a screen shot of part of a youtube video so I have an image that I can use? Say Im watching a review about a laptop, I pause the video and I take a screen shot and use that picture on my blog, is that legal? Since Im not really using the full video only a screen shot that I took at one point in the video. Please let me know what you guys think about this.

Thanks

kzpl23, Oct 16, 2015 IP
  11. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    What you do is you check with the manufacturer - they usually have "press-kits" (which is why everyone seems to be using the same images all around, if they don't take their own). Press kits are usually free to use, although some companies demand that you get it directly from them (ie, they have a way to contacting you directly), so they're not in "public domain" or anything like that. However, most press-kits does not have any restrictions on use (for blogposts, reviews, etc).

PoPSiCLe, Oct 17, 2015 IP
  12. zeeshan125

zeeshan125 Member

Best Answers:
    You should not copy someone images to place on your blog. why not to take your own photos? Don't worried about this, pick a camera and take good quality images that your blog needs. Its just take little time and then you can display these images with photo galleries. www.quickgalleries.com is best platform for this purposes..

zeeshan125, Oct 28, 2015 IP
  13. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Glad to see you're wanting to do things right. You can indeed use images from Google. Follow these steps:
    1. When on Google images click the "Search Tool" button under the search bar
    2. Click on "Usage Rights"
    3. Click on "Labeled for reuse"
    Then you're all set and legal.

kjh-08, Oct 28, 2015 IP