1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using images for Search Engine Optimization

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Advocatus2, Jan 2, 2014.

I would really appreciate anyone’s help, and I hope you are able to understand my question. I’m new to E-commerce and I might not be using the correct terminology to explain my question.

First Image
    [​IMG]

Second Image
    [​IMG]

Third Image
    [​IMG]

I would like to use Search Engine Optimization in relation to my website I am developing by separating multi-word-named images.

When you have more than one image to link the same product, how do you optimize the second & third image without confusing the search engine?

Do you use hyphens for -2 & -3
    Image: 1
    elmo-onesie.jpg
    Image:2
    elmo-onesie-2.jpg
    Image:3
    elmo-onesie -3.jpg

Or would you use underscores for second & third image?

elmo-onesie.jpg
    elmo-onesie_2.jpg
    elmo-onesie _3.jpg

I would also like to clarify something else from the above question.

If you have to describe image to the search engine what would be the most appropriate way to describe the above image? Is there a limit on the amount of words you can use?

If you had to select from these examples, what would be the best one to use or would you use something else?

Example: elmo-onesie.jpg
    Example: elmo-onesie-animal-onesie.jpg
    Example: kids-elmo-onesie-animal-onesie.jpg

I have to hyphenate over 250 images and I would like to do this correctly the first time.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    Advocatus2, Jan 2, 2014 IP
  2. iexo

iexo Member

Best Answers:
    The example I'd choose is:
    Example: kids-elmo-onesie-animal-onesie.jpg - as it seems like it'd have the best SEO affect... but I believe the alt text etc plays a bigger part than the file name.

As for the format for sequential images, that's a tough one - another for the table is like:
    elmo-onesie.jpg
    elmo-onesie(1).jpg
    elmo-onesie(2).jpg

Considering this only as I see many programs name files like this automatically by default.

iexo, Jan 2, 2014 IP
  3. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Iexo's reply seems to have a lot of weight. I have had good success with getting first place using the hyphenated (image-name.jpg) format of naming images. Add an extra keyword:
    • image-name-keyword1.jpg
    • image-name-keyword2.jpg

Good luck.

Blue Star Ent., Jan 2, 2014 IP
  4. SEO Sorcerer

SEO Sorcerer Member

Best Answers:
    I would make them like this: $product_name-$descriptor-$number.png like the following:

• elmo-onesie-front-1.png
    • elmo-onesie-side-2.png
    • elmo-onesie-back-3.png
    Then, add proper Alt and Title text to all of these images. And if your sitemap is smart enough you can have it add image information as well.
    I would use some robot/tool to check my pages and if the e-commerce engine cannot make a dynamic sitemap, you'll have to use an external tool to make that as well.

SEO Sorcerer, Jan 2, 2014 IP
    Blue Star Ent. likes this.
  5. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Make sure the image file name is human readable and avoid over-optimisation. A good way to choose an image file name is to describe it in a few words: "Elmo kids animal onesie." You don't need onesie in there twice; once is enough for humans (in my view, anything that is pointless/meaningless/crap for humans comes within the realm of over-optimisation). So, the file name would ideally be "elmo-kids-animal-onesie.jpg" and an example of the alt text for it (remember, this is a description of the image; it is intended for accessibility) would be: "An Elmo animal onesie for kids in red."

When it comes to multiple images, I would simple do the following:

File name: "elmo-kids-animal-onesie-side.jpg"
    Alt text: "An Elmo animal onesie for kids in red as shown from the side."

Remember to take advantage of structured data (check schema.org) for your products. This is now more important than ever for "SEO".

ryan_uk, Jan 2, 2014 IP
    Blue Star Ent. likes this.
  6. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    Specify image name in ALT Tag !!!

John Dave, Jan 2, 2014 IP
  7. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Do you actually understand what the alt attribute is for? It's an "alternative text" used by browsers/software that can't (or purposely don't) display images. It is to be descriptive and meaningful, not to stuff a file name in (although: it should be empty for images that are decorative).

Start here and read the references.

ryan_uk, Jan 2, 2014 IP
  8. Rev Jain

Rev Jain Active Member

Best Answers:
    Images are important for showing products. Image optimization is needed for visibility of keyword in Search results.
    We must give a image name with regarding product name and also we can add digits for makes it a unique.
    I suggest we also add a brand name in Image name.
    Example: [Brand Name]-[Product name]-[Digit].jpg

Rev Jain, Jan 2, 2014 IP