1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using Google Sitemaps to help domain name transition

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by cmeinck, Nov 1, 2007.

I'm in the process of changing my domain name. Once finalized, I'm planning on setting up a 301 redirect to the new domain. My next step was to submit a new sitemap. Now, until this point, I've been using vBSEO and that's only handled the forums. What would be the best tool (Google's program, third party) to create a sitemap for the entire site? vBSEO's sitemap generator is pretty seamless for the forum section and I have it generate maps daily. My thought is that one all-encompassing sitemap would probably be a good idea.

Also, should I wait a few days until Google finds the 301. I don't want the bot to discount the new site as being a duplicate.

Any thoughts, suggestions on best practices and tools is greatly appreciated.

cmeinck, Nov 1, 2007 IP
  2. evera

evera Peon

Best Answers:
    I can recommend g-sitecrawler to make a sitemap. Very easy to use, very powerfull and completely free.
    And I think google will figure out that it is a new site when you do a 301, I don't think you get punished its common that domains change.

evera, Nov 1, 2007 IP