1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using free wallpapers to gain SEO links

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jimmyeatblink, Sep 26, 2008.

Has anyone had any experience in submitting wallpapers to free galleries to get backlinks? Any tips?

jimmyeatblink, Sep 26, 2008 IP
  2. T_Media

T_Media Peon

Best Answers:
    fraid not - but I did find an interesting article at bluehatseo.com that talked about using a single image to create a lot of backlinks. e.g: Get an image indexed in google images > put the image on it's own page and give away a code to allow people to hotlink it > in the code make the image a hyperlink to one of your parked domains > when you're ready to use those links for some rankings, 301 the parked domain to the one you want to promote.

Certainly an interesting method, I can't say I recommend it though, especially since you'd get a lot of off topic links and you can't specify an anchor text.

T_Media, Sep 26, 2008 IP
  3. GetSomeCashOnline

GetSomeCashOnline Banned

Best Answers:
    I have some high quality images I took which are resized to wallpaper sizes with the URL to my site in the corner, but I do not seem to get any traffic from it, even on my Wallpaper Site.

GetSomeCashOnline, Sep 26, 2008 IP
  4. jimmyeatblink

jimmyeatblink Peon

Best Answers:
    I read somewhere that the sites allow you to post urls in your profile so essentially giving you a backlink. Just trying to think of some new things to try other than the usual SEO practices.

5. GetSomeCashOnline

GetSomeCashOnline Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeh. Small things, but after time they help. And of course they all add up.

Oh, and if you want an extra backlink: seo-affiliate-marketing.com <== My Directory site if you want to submit your URL. :)

GetSomeCashOnline, Sep 26, 2008 IP
  6. jimmyeatblink

jimmyeatblink Peon

Best Answers:
    bluehatseo always has some cool ideas for SEO. But don't think I would try any on our paying customers who expect a white hat service :D

7. jimmyeatblink

jimmyeatblink Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks I submitted one of out SEO Blogs. PM your site details and I will add it to my directory, will do it manually as i have recently had to make it paid due to large amounts of submissions and less time to spend on it.

8. T_Media

T_Media Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, thats the big problem with bluehat. Good for trying out on your own sites risky to use on client sites.

I'm actually testing one of the techniques on there in my spare time now "link laundering". I setup a directory with the phpld script and submitted to directorycritic.com and a couple of other lists. Then I used the in built 3rd way linking feature which requires submitters to link to a 3rd test site of mine before being accepted into the directory. Works like a charm, I just sit back and get 1 to 2 links everyday which would be fine for uncompetitive local search niches.

The links so far have been a bit mediocre though, they're not on topic (although I can fix that by matching the category the submitter selects to a topic related 3rd party site) and I'm getting them from link pages, which isn't so bad, but not ideal.

T_Media, Sep 26, 2008 IP
  9. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    That wallpaper thing is probably over now. If you have lot of time then you can try it though I don't think it will work as good as used to before.

@T_Media - have you seen any changes in serps with that method ? I have always been skeptical from the first time when I had read Eli's that post for 3 reasons -

1. Quality of the links will always be poor. Its a lot like guestbook spamming. It can still be done, you can still get some very low quality backlinks but that pretty much it. Don't expect wonders
    2. Most of the stuff in BHS is outdated stuff which Eli had tried and now left it. Now that post itself is more then a year old, so making things even worst.
    3. Is all this even worth your effort ? for few it may be, for few it don't. Scaling is never easy for newbies...

Thanks for sharing your experience though

poseidon, Sep 26, 2008 IP
  10. T_Media

T_Media Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with a lot of points on there.

Thus far I've been up and running with a directory for almost a month:

1) The links have been off topic
    2) From low PR pages (to be expected, I mean thats why they're submitting to directories!)
    3) The links are usually on link pages amongst many others, doesn't really look natural
    4) The links are sometimes on orphaned pages

This is a test that has not consumed much of my time and I'm really just seeing what happens. I'm pointing the links to a site in a really uncompetitive niche and I shall observe any movement in rank. So far I've seen none, but I know from experience that it can take around 6 months to see anything, so right now it's too early to conclude anything.

Is it worth doing?

Yes I think so.

1) The links are off topic, but I can solve this by changing the third party site depending on what category someone wishes to submit their site to.
    2) They maybe low PR, but if you go by eli's posts, a link is still a link, just need lot's of 'em. Creating lots of link laundering sites will produce the volume required.
    3) The links ARE usually on link pages with many other links. I'm sure some creativity could target an audience of webmasters that will put links in better places... not sure what though, widgets with links?
    4) Eli advices submitting orphaned pages to the SE's thus getting the links indexed.

I'm gonna wait it out and see what happens. I like the idea very much because it offers a chance to get ongoing one way links for free with very little effort. It hasn't taken up too much of my time, so testing and tweaking shall continue.

T_Media, Sep 29, 2008 IP