1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using Forum Posting Services, Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by jawinn, Dec 14, 2005.

I've read extensively about admins using posting services for their new forums, basically paying people to populate their forums with entries. On the surface this seems like a great way to get a forum going. I am considering it with a new forum of mine. This tactic raises several questions and I am looking for feedback from people who have gone down this road before me.

1. Do genuine forum members ever suspect there are paid posts?

2. How does one approach the issue of a targeted subject matter that a forums posting service may not be very knowledgeable about?

3. How advisable is it to simply post a request for paid posts from individuals here in DP vs. going with a service?

4. I would love for referrals before I make my decision, from those of you happy with your posting service

Many thanks

jawinn, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  2. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    I have done this myself a number of times and it works a treat. Instead of using a posting service i used to just start threads on TAZ (Another website similar to DP/forums related)... First of all this allowed me to personally insure that the individual is knowledgeable in a particular field. Secondly i was able to do it for less eg 100 posts for $5-8, unlike the posting services who charge you around $300-200 for 1000 posts. When it comes to your original members... I dont think they had a slightest idea that these new members are posting for money. Hope this answers some of your questions.

mightyb, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  3. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    I have still yet to find a good posting service. But I am willing to keep trying if someone does this.

Shoemoney, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  4. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've too much on to try and build my forums so I've been turning to such services myself - the best thing for me is you can ask them to do it over a few weeks, so it gives your site a daily life for a while hopefully long enough to pick up a few new users.

The way I look at it the bonus is two fold. Its not only about the visitors, its an investment in content also.

Mightyb's plan sounds great as well, but I'm too busy for that as well. :)

If you want some thoughts on the one's I've used, let me know.

Dio, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  5. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    Lazy! :D he he

mightyb, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  6. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Busy! :D Hummph!

Dio, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  7. unitechy

unitechy Peon

Best Answers:
    do you guys mean to say you pay people for posting on your forums?
    Please i'm very much unaware of it can you elaborate this thing??
    Thanks in advance

unitechy, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  8. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    Well when you first start a forum it will obviously be empty. Would you join a forum when you are the only person in there or a forum that has 10 posts?

In order to make it look more active = appealing, forum owners often pay people to make a few 1000 posts at the start.

mightyb, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  9. shahab6

shahab6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why don't you just go to some other forum, take their topic and copy past it to your forum, that will save you so much money.

shahab6, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  10. Moncal

Moncal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Because that's dishonest, copyright/intellectual property rights infringement, and gives you duplicate content.

Moncal, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  11. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    Moncal

Exactly!

Another option is to create fake accounts and talk to yourself. Works best if you have split personality.

mightyb, Dec 15, 2005 IP
  12. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do that as well ;) The web is perfect for split personalities. Have some fun with it, get into an argument with yourself and give each protagantist their own website, homepage etc. Endless hours of fun.

Dio, Dec 15, 2005 IP
  13. Moncal

Moncal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some of my most loyal members have done that from time to time, but I've never tried it for fear of putting people off.

Moncal, Dec 15, 2005 IP
  14. shahab6

shahab6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your saying everything we are writing is copyrighted on this board, and if someone another forum copy this we can sue them? Also who know that these services don't copy from some other boards. Best thing to do is get your friends, family, coworkers, etc to write on the board.

shahab6, Dec 15, 2005 IP
  15. Moncal

Moncal Active Member

Best Answers:
    In essence. You have intellectual property rights over what you post which is similar to a copyright except that Digitalpoint also has some rights over what you post. As far as I'm aware it's a very gray area and you wouldn't be able to win a lawsuit over it.

As far as paid posting services go, the legitimate ones won't copy anything but news articles. If you start seeing stuff from wikipedia (even though it is under a free use license) I would ask them about it.

Moncal, Dec 16, 2005 IP