1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using Facebook for Single Sign On

Discussion in 'Facebook API' started by Mark Lester, May 19, 2014.

I have the javascript side working instantly. I have a picture of myself and "Mark Lester uses Gee GTFS Editor" in my title bar. Nice.
    But I just don't get how I now get my service, which of course is a couple of Java programs returning JSON, to know that it really is mark.lester.5454021 that's signed on, and not someone hacking the javascript etc.
    How I assumed this would work is that the user would have a key (I've fbsr_<my_app_id> set as a cookie and I added the access token as another cookie value). This key (presumably one of the above), and their name possibly, is passed to my service, which in turn then makes a direct call to Facebook, perhaps using the secret, to validate that this is a valid key, i.e. yup, we just signed him in and that's the key we gave him, or nope, that doesnt add up.
    But it doesnt work like that does it.
    I can imagine that the Identity Provider hands back some magic bundle encoded using the secret, so the service provider doesnt have to make a direct back channel call bacl tp the IdP, it can just decrypt and validate, but that seems to be even more off beam.
    Within reason, I dont even mind paying for the privilege, but I cant even work out how you do that I tried oneall.com but I still dont get how the SP is supposed to be sure this is who they say they are.
    And, at least in the short term, I dont mind telling my punters, who of course are all beta testers, "you got to single sign on using this single platform, e.g facebook).

Mark Lester, May 19, 2014 IP
  2. Mark Lester

Mark Lester Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    http://blog.mixu.net/2011/01/03/implementing-facebook-login-part-2/

really really good explanation of stuff.
    So yes, you just need the app secret and the fbsr_<app_id> cookie to go, no direct back channel to facebook

Last edited: May 19, 2014
    Mark Lester, May 19, 2014 IP