1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using DMOZ Category Names and Structure

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Special Ed, Jan 3, 2006.

I am starting a large directory and would like to use category names and structure that is very close to DMOZ. To avoid copyright issues, do I need to change the category names up a bit?

For those here that run large directories, how did you first seed your directory with all its categories? Since a large directory can have thousands of categories, trying to think of them all would be impossible, let alone typing them all in…

Special Ed, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  2. SiteExpress

SiteExpress Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here is what I do.

I first looked at similar directories for ideas. I then manually created a basic list of categories. As users submit a link to a category, I check to see if I have enough similar links to place them into a subcategory themselves. If so, I create a new subcategory, and place links there.

I just didn't feel right copying someone elses directory. I just kind of like being unique I guess, and I think the extra work is worth it.

SiteExpress, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  3. IamwhoIam

IamwhoIam Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to be very careful over copyright issues since were you to copy anyone else's structure and text then at some stage you could spend more time doing exactly that - typing and correcting everything by hand.

Besides which a directory with empty categories is worse than useless.:)

IamwhoIam, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  4. Moncal

Moncal Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see how you could have a problem when they allow people to copy their whole database.

Moncal, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  5. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    Note - The ODP allows the coping of the whole database as long as the data user is following the License Agreement which requires attributing the copied work to the ODP.

shadow575, Jan 5, 2006 IP