1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using authorship for both corporate and private web sites/blogs

Discussion in 'Microdata' started by PliSsK, Apr 10, 2013.

For those of you who have used their G+ profiles to denote authorship on blogs and web sites, I am curious how one manages this in both a corporate role and a private role. i.e. if you write articles for the company you work for or create your own company's web site - but you also have private web sites and blogs totally unconnected with the above company or companies.

If you put rel=author onto ALL of your blogs and web sites regardless of whether they are personal or corporate, then as well as potentially boosting traffic to your company blogs/sites, one presumably runs the risk of one's private blogs and articles being associated with your company in some way.

In the search results, presumably one's name and picture pops up under the URL but is one's employer name visible or is that only displayed on the right of the google window or if the person searching clicks on your name to visit your G+ profile?

Of course, there is rel=publisher that can be used for company web sites, and that is what I'm implementing for these in the first instance. However, if my private web sites for example attract much more traffic, then using rel=author for all of them will surely help my company web site's ranking in google eventually?

For those of you who work in the corporate field, how do companies view such authorship behaviour? Is it considered ok as long as the private blogs and articles you write are non contentious and innocuous? I think this will be an issue anyway if you conduct yourself publicly/visibly over the internet (or indeed real world) using your real name, whether or not you actually link in your G+ account or not.

Is anyone using two G+ profiles, one for corporate and one for private authorship markup? This seems like too much hard work esp. as one has to create a dedicated publisher page for each web site, even if they belong to the same company. I know people on internet forums and such often use aliases to protect their identities so they can speak more freely etc., esp. if they belong to a social or cultural group that might be frowned upon in the corporate world. I'm not talking so much about this type of thing as the solution here regarding authorship would be obvious.

I am not sure anyone can really answer these questions as it is probably case specific, but increasingly I think it's going to be important for people to preserve their corporate persona and identity given the decrease in privacy over the internet - to be increasingly concerned with their public image from their employer's perspective - not a good thing. Anyone have an opinion about this?

Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    PliSsK, Apr 10, 2013 IP