1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using a charity's logo without prior permission.

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Inferno Arcade, Nov 6, 2010.

Hello, everyone. It's been quite a while, but I'm finally back to Digital Point. :)

My question today revolves completely around charities. I am making a website where users can do various things to earn me money, and in return I will donate a portion to charities of their choice and a private memorial scholarship fund. It's a Saturday, and I am really wanting to get this running by the end of the day. However, I am unsure if there are any charities that I can use their image on my website.

For example, I need to use certain charity images so the user can see what charity they are helping to donate to in the end. Without them, I fear my site will look very unprofessional and most likely fake.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Inferno Arcade

Inferno Arcade, Nov 6, 2010 IP
  2. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Without the charity's permission you can't use their logo's and since the stated aim of your site is to (I quote) "make [me] money" I doubt they will give their permission. If people want to give to charity there are plenty of choices - some good, some bad - and if you're site is being put together in a single day then I don't think it's going to high on the list of choices people make.

RonBrown, Nov 7, 2010 IP
  3. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    There certainly can be nothing wrong with pledging a proportion of your profits or income to charity and charities certainly will support it as long as your being up front that it is 10% of income (or whatever it is) and not missleading people into thinking its anything more. We developed a service site for a client and they had permission from 2 charities to use their logos etc with a proportion of income generated going to them.

Charities are the same as everything else in terms of their trademarks and copyright. You need their permission before you can use their IP otherwise you risk litigation, costs and damages. How likely this is to happen if your giving them money is another question but its up to you if you want to run the risk

AstarothSolutions, Nov 8, 2010 IP
  4. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Reminds me of a few people getting in trouble lately trying to make it look like they are a breast cancer charity using pink ribbons and such.

yeah it is called fraud and people might get mad and come after you.

averyz, Nov 9, 2010 IP
  5. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If he intends to run his site as a sole charity site, then he will probably find himself in legal trouble, as I am
    sure you need permits, or whatever to run such a site...now running a site to make money is fine, and lets
    say we contribute 10% to so and so charity...and any charity would love your donation, but you would still
    need their permission to use their logo, or you could end up being sued, or accused of fraud, etc...

dscurlock, Nov 10, 2010 IP
  6. WordyDivas

WordyDivas Peon

Best Answers:
    It has been said, but you do need permission from a charity to use their logo. Especially if you intend to make any form of income. I recall a few years back there were news stories about "honor boxes" in stores which claimed to give a portion of the money earned to charities. After receiving so much bad press about how individuals could buy stickers from charities for a set price, and then keep all the proceeds from the box, a lot of charities changed how they did things.

Most charities will make you go through a detailed process of explaining how you intended to use their logo, and will not let you use it if your only goal is to make money.

WordyDivas, Nov 10, 2010 IP