1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using a blog to advertise...

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by joshril, Mar 5, 2005.

I have started a blog through blogger.. Has anyone had any experience using a blog to advertise. Basically all I did was set it up and put a link to my site on it and put a link to the blog on my site. Will this help my PR or will it just be another value added service to my site visitors??

joshril, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  2. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to gain links to your blog to see any real PR benefit on your main website.

l234244, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  3. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a bit of work just for one link. I advertise my sites on my blog, but I also update the content on my blog often and my blog is not for the sole purpose of advertising my sites. :)

ViciousSummer, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  4. joshril

joshril Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah... I figure it won't be an overnight wonder... More than the advertising aspect I think it just ads more content for the website and gives people a chance to spill their guts.. Any other suggestions would be most appreciated!

joshril, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  5. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been doing this for a couple of months now. My experiance has been mixed. I've noticed that it does show up in the serps for some of my major keywords, so I do end up getting some traffic from it. I just don't have enough time to post stuff often enough.

nfzgrld, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  6. wkw

wkw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I started a blog just about two months ago in response to reading this post http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=7359 . The initial goal was just to shove as many links (to my important landing pages) as tastefully posible into SEO-optimized text. A week or so later I started a second one with the goal of building up enough content to start monetizing it. Been having fun with both, and both have most all their pages indexed in the search engines now (including google). My first two blogs are through blogger.com, but I finally started publishing them to their own domains. It took about six weeks for google to give in and show the pages in their index, though G still refuses to show backlinks while MSN has about 1,180 right now.

My orientation to blogging has definitely evolved from that initial reaction to the post above. I'm in the process of setting up yet another one, this time using WordPress and with the intent of integrating it into my main website. Here are some of the benefits I'm seeing from blogging, in the context of website promotion and/or web marketing:
    • It offers additional venues for generating content and placing links to other sites I'm promoting; now I have a slightly more options of where to promote a specific item
    • It's so convenient to be able to post small notes/ideas/whatever without having to design web pages for the purpose
    • I think those small posts are good for focusing on a specific item which I can craft into high-value fodder for search engines
    • There's a ton of stuff I want to write about which has never easily fit into my main site, so now I can set up alternative theme-based blogs for that purpose

Definitely use pingomatic.com to let the world know when you put new posts up. As an aside, I posted something earlier in the week about getting a credit card merchant account, hit pingomatic, and within 30 minutes, someone had signed up in my downline to resell those accounts (now that person just needs to sign some people up so I can reap the rewards). Tonight I created a new line of Martha Stewart fashion wear... heheh (see: http://www.cafepress.com/martha_stewart) and where I really wanted to write about it was in the still-unpublished wordpress blog, so I was left having to force it into the iPod blog where it doesn't really belong. But it illustrated how useful I find it to have various stages to pontificate from.

good luck

wkw, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  7. petertdavis

petertdavis Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can do many things with a blog. I wouldn't recommend using a blog as a search engine spamming tool. However, if you were building up a blog with good content, some links to your other websites wouldn't do any harm. Blogs can be a great public relations tool, for a company, by the way.

petertdavis, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  8. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I think it all depends on who you are as a person and what you are good at. Some people are talented and enthusiastic writers and in that case a blog would be a great outlet to benefit from.

Blogmaster, Mar 6, 2005 IP