1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Uses of title= attribute

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Owlcroft, Aug 22, 2004.

Does anyone have any real information (as opposed to guesses, which we can all make) as to the value or lack of it of using the title= attribute?

For example, does a link in the form--

<a href="http://domain.com/page.html" title="great keywords">great keywords</a>​
    --provide any nontrivial benefit to either the linked page or the linking page as compared to simply--

<a href="http://domain.com/page.html">great keywords</a>​
    ?

And that attribute can, it seems, be added into almost any tag whatever, not just anchors and tables and images. Imagine:

<p title="secondary keywords">This paragraph discusses my secondary keywords. It says several things about them.</p>​
    (After all, there's a practical limit to h5 and h6 heads--one per paragraph would seem excessive to any visitor.)

But this is such an obvious way to stuff a document while yet remaining within w3c guidelines--indeed, actually following recommendations--and even nominally (or actually) improving page quality, that one wonders how the SEs react to it.

Has anyone tried experiments?

Owlcroft, Aug 22, 2004 IP
  2. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Isn't all SEO guessing? I have never noticed anything that made one better than the other. I thought we were supposed to use it for visually impaired people to help with navigation.

NewComputer, Aug 22, 2004 IP
  3. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Owlcroft,

I have seen this issue discussed at great length on other forums, and the consensus always was that it does you absolutley no good with Google. In fact I believe a reasonable test was conducted that supported that conclusion.

So to the degree that one can ever be sure of anything with Google, I don't think there is any SEO benefit.

compar, Aug 22, 2004 IP
  4. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    compar,

Thanks. I suspected as much--TANSTAAFL--but it's nice to cover the bases. I normally say "If it even might help, and can't hurt, do it", but here, by seriously expanding file sizes, it can hurt, at least a little (plus it might, I suppose, set of alarms).

I suppose done in moderation, with true users (like the visually impaired) in mind, it might be A Good Thing, but I'm not gonna stay up all night tonight converting.

Owlcroft, Aug 22, 2004 IP
  5. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, I wouldn't if I were you Owl. I don't think you are going to get too many visually impaired visitors looking for free tools or content creation for their websites ;) With that said though, I think it is a relatively good idea to use them for the visually impaired etc... I tried to use them for keywords with no good return, I have since converted to a more user friendly title.

NewComputer, Aug 22, 2004 IP