1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Users registering as ADMIN on Wordpress Blog

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by giorgioarmani, Jun 9, 2015.

For some strange reason I'm getting a number of new registrations on my Wordpress blog and they have administrator capabilities. I've reset all passwords (WP, MySQL). User registration is turned off. Never happened on any other WP sites I have. Anyone have any ideas how this can be stopped?

giorgioarmani, Jun 9, 2015 IP
  2. Goob

Goob Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    May seem dumb to ask, but have your double checked the Registration settings under Settings -> General -> New User Default Role? It's usually set to Subscriber, but maybe you have it set to Administrator? That won't solve your problem of them registering, but might explain why they're given Admin access.

However the fact that they can register with registration turned off is odd. Are you using any nulled plugins or themes?

Goob, Jun 17, 2015 IP
  3. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tip. I've checked that but all are set to Subscriber. In any case though, registrations are OFF. Indeed very odd! I'm only using standard plugins and a popular theme from Themeforest. Any other tips?

giorgioarmani, Jun 18, 2015 IP
  4. Goob

Goob Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm. Any chance you have bbpress or any other type of plugin that allows for registration? Sometimes they can bypass Wordpress' default registration settings.

Goob, Jun 18, 2015 IP
  5. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have only these plugins:

Hello Dolly & Akismet

giorgioarmani, Jun 18, 2015 IP
  6. Goob

Goob Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have any plugins installed but not active? If not, I can't see how it's either of those plugins, so the next area to look at would be the theme. Have you gone over all the settings to make sure there's nothing something within the theme allowing registrations on a theme-created page or something?

Goob, Jun 18, 2015 IP