1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Users more annoyed with adsense?

Discussion in 'Traffic Analysis' started by imagerage, Jul 19, 2005.

Has anyone experienced more annoyed users or a decrease in visitors after adding adsense to their site? I suppose the site should be made for the user and not adsense, how many adsense ads would be too much?

imagerage, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  2. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    The more ads you have on your website, the more people are going to be annoyed with them. Problem is, it is a necessary evil if ads are your way of generating income.

I know you can have like 3 blocks of adsense running on a page, but I prefer to keep just 1 on mine, and it is off to the side where it is probably the least profitable for me, but it still does something and at the same time is not right in front of the users face ever time time they come to the site.

SportsOutlaw, Jul 19, 2005 IP
    Cyclops likes this.
  3. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't experienced less traffic with sites I've added adsense on. Of course I subscribe to the school of thought that you should make your ads blend in as much as possible with the rest of your site rather than making them stand out.

tflight, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  4. 2ndPlatform

2ndPlatform Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed - if you incorporate the ads with the same look and feel of your site - they're less annoying. However the flip side of that is people are less likely to click on them too and then what's the point.

I've had really good luck on some sites if they're properly placed... but nothing on others.

I really like how the EntireWeb newsletter does it --- a large column of valuable text with an ad or two intersperced.

2ndPlatform, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  5. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure this is always the case. If your visitors are technically savvy then they will likely recognize the ad for what it is and move on. However I've found (and I'm only one man) that when I blend my ads on my non-technical sites the actually get more clicks.

tflight, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  6. 2ndPlatform

2ndPlatform Peon

Best Answers:
    You're absolutely right -- I wasn't thinking about the type of site and visitors -- great point.

2ndPlatform, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  7. webdesignlist

webdesignlist Peon

Best Answers:
    i think people also forget something called 'ad sympathy'. its there to a certain degree....

on some sites that give great info, or on web tools and the like, tech savvy users know they are getting great info/tool for free and so thank the webmaster by clicking on ads - ive seen a couple of discussions about this...

i think its a small phenomenon...

maybe?....

webdesignlist, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  8. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    AdSense, the virtual tip-jar?

tflight, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  9. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The art of using adsense is by blending it so that it won't be as intrusive as most spammer adsenser publishers are doing it. Adsense is used to bring revenue but at the same time to help your visitors to get somewhre else he might be interested in.

I don't see why ppl would hate suitably bended and well-placed adsense on the pages that they visit. However, if these ads are placed insensibly and just for the sake of getting clicks, you can see it right away. Most of the time, the site has no valuable content whatsover.

I'm not worried about putting adsense on my site and I do not think ppl will stop to visit my page because of it. The most important thing is to put the ads in the right way, make it just another link options for your visitors and never offend their intelligence and don't waste theitr time.

iskandar, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  10. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    heh, my visitors have a better idea. They block the ads. Most of them do that to me...

alang, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  11. imagerage

imagerage Peon

Best Answers:
    I see, I guess I will start with one ad. Can I have some popup ad on the same site as google ads?

imagerage, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  12. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes .. it is allowed under these circumstances
    From https://www.google.com/adsense/policies

Site Content
    Site may not include:
    ....Pop-ups, pop-unders or exit windows that interfere with site navigation, obscure Google ads, change user preferences, or are for downloads. Other types of pop-ups, pop-unders, or exit windows may be allowed, provided that they do not exceed a combined total of 5 per user session

iskandar, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  13. pchere

pchere Peon

Best Answers:
    Try to be non obtrusive with ads. Blend. Avoid clutter. Develop readership. alang is right - many use adblockers and greasemonkey anyway.

pchere, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  14. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I hope google can do something about that. My visitors complaining that the reason they block the google ads because its make page loading slower.

alang, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  15. imagerage

imagerage Peon

Best Answers:
    If the ads are blocked, does it still count as an impression?

imagerage, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  16. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think they also become less annoyed over time as they become more "blind" to the ads. I know I barely even notice them on sites anymore.

MattL, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  17. TooHappy

TooHappy Guest

Best Answers:
    The ad blocker should never execute the script, so the impression will not register.

TooHappy, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  18. octavian

octavian Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's a hint - always try to avoid putting the ads on the front page of the website. The revenue will probably decrease but the psychological effect the ads will have on your visitors will also be much smaller...

octavian, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  19. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Depends on the site.

MattL, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  20. octavian

octavian Peon

Best Answers:
    you're right, this applies best at communities, article depots etc
    generally at sites where you want the user to "spend" more than 3-4 clicks on.

octavian, Jul 20, 2005 IP