1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

User "username" forced to close connection. (10501)

Discussion in 'Optigold ISP' started by samnaugler, Jan 7, 2005.

1. samnaugler

samnaugler Peon

Best Answers:
    When it does "Searching for installed components" on an ispfull install, is it searching the entire network? (It seems to have stalled there, never picks an fp5. If I cancel that and continue, it seems to know where my original Optigold is - I am trying to install for a dupe-seperate-box copy, but am on-network this time, and having this happen - but tells me that I have to do a workstation install in order to get it to work...though I have done that, just clicking that cancel after a long long wait)....

I was hoping to have it such that I can open the local fp5s with Optigold in order to check for corruption and such, as I do now on my Optigold box before installing the filemaker server. I just did this off-network and it was fine (except that it did find the local fp5's I had on my off-network box). If I leave that "Searching for components" long enough will it find the local fp5 files or the ones on the existing server? If I take the box offline and run the ispfull install would it find the local ones so that I could proceed?

Sam

samnaugler, Jan 10, 2005 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It searches the machine it's on. If you cancel the search, you could move the files manually to the FileMaker folder from the Optigold folder it installed the files into.

digitalpoint, Jan 10, 2005 IP
  3. samnaugler

samnaugler Peon

Best Answers:
    FYI - yesterday afternoon while preparing to move the filemaker server to another box techsupport began to mention that the problem seemed most common when they were clicking out of records they had recently added techlogs to. One tech swore that if he stayed in a record long enough and then clicked out into the gray area to release it from lock it would crash (but could not duplicate it), and there was always the nagging thread that the users who were in for days on end and not kicked out were also seldom the heavy Optigold users. Finally (and most conspicously) our techsupport manager noticed errant results in a search of tech-logs by Classification1...of 11 hits for a certain type of record, 2 were not correct results at all (no record on the account contained a matching classification)...this said specifically at the top "Activity.fp5" so I shut down the server and ran a recover on that file (it opened fine with a local session of Optigold opening the fp5 files on the server box...not detected as corrupt or unopenable anything), and after that the same search yielded proper results and after a day of use (now) nobody has complained of being kicked.

Is there anything I should know before letting down my guard on this? (Some axiom like "always repair your global.fp5 if you repair your activity.fp5" that I might not know?)

Also (and I apologize for asking this and not looking through the forums for the answer...and I know that you must get badgered about this 20 times a day...but because of the days of trouble and the repaired fp5, etc... we are also now considering upgrading to the newest version of Optigold, mostly for the sake of doing of the checks and stuff that it does during that process...but if the new probably-non-filemaker-more-web-based version of Optigold --- see I told you you'd be sick of being asked about it --- is going to be out in the next...say...3 or 4 months...then it probably would not be worth it for us to go through regular upgrade (and have to work around whatever broken billing/web-interface-mod/printer/script/etc... might come up).

Is there a semi-anticipated non-commital could-change-at-any-time release date for "Optigold 4"?

Thanks!

Sam

samnaugler, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's never a "bad" thing to recover files. It can't do any harm, and it will pick up minor problems that might not be readily apparent. It's a good general rule to recover them if the server goes down hard.

There is no timeframe on the other, sorry... :)

digitalpoint, Jan 11, 2005 IP