1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

User "username" forced to close connection. (10501)

Discussion in 'Optigold ISP' started by samnaugler, Jan 7, 2005.

All of a sudden this week (first reports yesterday morning) I have staff getting kicked out of Optigold seemingly at random. As Optigold has (for us) traditionally been all-or-nothing regarding crashes and as others were not kicked out (one or two at a time) we began by pursuing all possible network related issues (changed boxes, switches, etc...) but the problem persists into today. So far this seems only to have effected tech-support (our heaviest users) and seems to prefer certain people (?) (even if they change machines). It happens at random seemingly, can happen every 5 minutes for awhile or go for an hour or two. Users report that they get the same thing as if mainmenu was no longer available.

I notice on the Optigold box their disconnect corresponds with this in the event log:

User "username" forced to close connection. (10501)

...but I cannot find anything on what that is (except and old question which mentioned "disconnect idle users" which is not set on my filemaker).

Any idea what this is?

Sam

samnaugler, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hmmm... the only time I've ever seen that message outside of the disconnecting of idle guests is when someone is logged into the FileMaker Server Remote Admin and manually disconnects the user or the FileMaker Service is being shut down/restarted. Does your event log for FileMaker Server show anything?

digitalpoint, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  3. samnaugler

samnaugler Peon

Best Answers:
    No, the most recent one, two people just now and one about 3 minutes ago, are isolated in the event log. There have been a trail of pause and resumes, the most recent at 12:13 and then at 12:21pm one guy, another at 12:24, and another at 12:26. All saying "User 'their-username' forced to close connection (10501)".

How does Filemaker handle simultaneous logins by license? (I mean, we did not hire 20 more people all at once, etc... I just wondered how it errors if you have 10 license and the 11th guy logs on?) (Kind of grasping at straws here.)

Sam

4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I thought it just didn't let them connect to begin with. I guess you could test that theory though by looking in the logs and seeing if someone connected to the server right before someone else was disconnected. Still seems strange it would boot whoever was already on though.

5. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually had a similar problem, but it wasn't following users, it was a single user always at the same machine, and he was getting kicked of the fm server at random times. (disconnect idle users was not set) The problem turned out to be a hub that was bugging out. I changed the hub and the problem never returned. I don't know what was wrong with the hub, I could alway ping thru it but after changing it, the prob. was fixed.

A suggestion, log into www.experts-exchange.com and search thru the solutions there (or ask a question). They have been really helpful for me in many occasions.

EDIT I haven't used experts exchange much now since they have gone to a pay service, but here's a tip. sign up, then search using their search function, and then use the exact words in the title to search with google using the site: operator ie: site:www.experts-exchange.com the title of the solution here. That way you find the article without paying for their advanced search function!

exam, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  6. samnaugler

samnaugler Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I guess the thing that makes the license theory come to mind is that there are a number of accounts (including my own) which have been logged in fine for days and days. It always seems to be the billing and techsupport staff (and they would be more inclined to login and out each day)...so as far as I know everyone who has been getting kicked has been someone who logged in yesterday/today.

We have move switches and stuff around and put more frequent people right on the same one as Optigold (no change).

Does the number under "Filemaker Client Licenses" correspond to the number of Optigold users who can be logged in at once? Are there any special provisions for automated tasks or web-interface logins?

Sam

7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, those numbers are just the number of licenses that were purchased through us. I checked, and it looks like you guys bought 5.0 from us. Unfortunately with that version there was no single serial number. Instead each machine should have a unique one.

8. samnaugler

samnaugler Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to be sure, you know that I was not speaking of the "licensed for use for XXX customer accounts" but further down where it says:

Filemaker Client Licenses: 18
    Filemaker Server Licenses: 0
    Filemaker Unlimited Licenses: 1

Would that imply that only 18 users can be logged into Optigold at the same time? (I know it is kind of far fetched because the error would likely be more descriptive, the behavior different (like "sorry no more logins allowed"), I have not hired a bunch of new people, and because this does not happen regularly...I had three go in two minutes of each other on my last post, one about 20 minutes after that and none for about an hour now, etc... which does not sound like a license-checker-script...but I did want to understand if the 18 here could have any barring).

Sam

9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No... that is nothing more than an informational number of how many FileMaker licenses were purchased from us.

10. samnaugler

samnaugler Peon

Best Answers:
    I think I am out of ideas now. I have even moved the box to another switch and it did not help. Users have been in and out of the domain, static and dchp, computer to computer, etc... and it still keeps happening.
    I (of course) stopped and started Optigold (and opened it locally, etc...) no corruptions were reported, etc...
    Where do I go from here? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sam

samnaugler, Jan 8, 2005 IP
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You probably should call FileMaker since it's the server that's disconnecting them for whatever reason.

digitalpoint, Jan 8, 2005 IP
  12. samnaugler

samnaugler Peon

Best Answers:
    Ouch, filemaker says they don't support 5.x anymore (the most I could get was "that's not our error code, ours only go to four digits" and "maybe try reinstalling filemaker server").

Sam

samnaugler, Jan 10, 2005 IP
  13. samnaugler

samnaugler Peon

Best Answers:
    Does Optigold run on filemaker 6 or 7? Considering my options. (Any off-the-top-of-your-head prices on those?)

Sam

14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It runs on 5.0, 5.5 or 6.0. Through us FileMaker Server is $215, FileMaker Clients are $64.

digitalpoint, Jan 10, 2005 IP
  15. samnaugler

samnaugler Peon

Best Answers:
    Do I need one client for every user or for every simultaneous connection? Is there any upgrade pricing for either?

Sam

16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    A client for each user. There is not upgrading pricing through us (our price is much lower than normal upgrade pricing).

17. samnaugler

samnaugler Peon

Best Answers:
    This might be kind of a stupid question but what does the "database server installation" in ispfull do for me if I have fp5 files already? I ask because in an effort to map a route to installing our Optigold on a different box I did an off-network workstation installation (plus jre, plus fmulimited) in order that I might open the fp5s and make sure they downloaded correctly, then I installed filemaker server, made a shortcut to the fp5s and started the server, then I installed workstation Optigold on a second (off-network) box and it automatically saw the server and seems to do the correct things.

If I am moving an existing optigold to a new box do I need to do a database server installation on that box or would just a client install do it? (What is missing from it not having the database server install?)

18. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You don't need to do it... all it does it install a clean set of data files.

19. samnaugler

samnaugler Peon

Best Answers:
    Will filemaker5/optigold run under Windows 2003 correctly (off the top of your head)?

Sam

20. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes, it should.