User Management code / library

Discussion in 'PHP' started by blackbug, Nov 9, 2005.

Hi,

Do you guys write custom code for user management? Or use a specific 3rd party library for keeping track of things on the back end?

If so, what do you use? I'm just doing a bit of investigation for a future site of my own, and whilst I'm actually a web developer by trade during the day - I'd really rather not reinvent the wheel :)

Cheers

Chris

blackbug, Nov 9, 2005 IP
  2. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh yeah, do you prefer http auth realms or cookie based logins?

As a user, I know which I prefer, but I was wondering what was popular with developers...

blackbug, Nov 9, 2005 IP
  3. dave487

dave487 Peon

Best Answers:
    I find that custom code works best as anything else contains too many features and is hard to integrate into your site.

The best thing is sometimes to follow a basic tutorial and build from there rather than taking a big script and stripping it down.

dave487, Nov 9, 2005 IP
  4. Roze

Roze Guest

Best Answers:
    Like you I hate to reinvent the wheel. Lately I've been starting with very simple scripts that do the job instead of over-powerful BIG programs that don't do what I want.

I've found a very simple and FREE yet powerful little user management script which has proven very flexible and easy to work with from these guys: http://www.mpdolan.com/downloads.htm

It's cookie based and lets you set different levels of users.
    It's main feature is that you can choose which page to redirect users to. Thanks to this feature, I was able to pass the referrer variable and when a user login it takes them back to the page they were originally on - a nice touch. It seems secure and has a little admin back end and everything. The site's not live yet but if you want to poke around I can PM you a link. Their forums also have instructions on how to sync the user table with forum software, I think they're using PunBB on their own site.

Roze, Nov 9, 2005 IP
    blackbug likes this.
  5. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Roze. Silly question, but is it in php? Only that site goes on about being a microsoft certified engineer all over the place...

I'll check it out myself later on, thanks again.

blackbug, Nov 9, 2005 IP
  6. Roze

Roze Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, PHP and it makes total sense too. Install it out of the package on your site and register and login a few times to learn which files do what, then chop away. It's MYSQL too I hope that works for you. Make sure you get their latest version, it's 1.3 I think.

Roze, Nov 9, 2005 IP
  7. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot. I'll be looking into that one later!

(Mysql is perfect)

blackbug, Nov 9, 2005 IP