1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

User Management code / library

Discussion in 'PHP' started by blackbug, Nov 9, 2005.

Hi,

Do you guys write custom code for user management? Or use a specific 3rd party library for keeping track of things on the back end?

If so, what do you use? I'm just doing a bit of investigation for a future site of my own, and whilst I'm actually a web developer by trade during the day - I'd really rather not reinvent the wheel :)

Cheers

Chris

blackbug, Nov 9, 2005 IP
  2. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh yeah, do you prefer http auth realms or cookie based logins?

As a user, I know which I prefer, but I was wondering what was popular with developers...

blackbug, Nov 9, 2005 IP
  3. dave487

dave487 Peon

Best Answers:
    I find that custom code works best as anything else contains too many features and is hard to integrate into your site.

The best thing is sometimes to follow a basic tutorial and build from there rather than taking a big script and stripping it down.

dave487, Nov 9, 2005 IP
  4. Roze

Roze Guest

Best Answers:
    Like you I hate to reinvent the wheel. Lately I've been starting with very simple scripts that do the job instead of over-powerful BIG programs that don't do what I want.

I've found a very simple and FREE yet powerful little user management script which has proven very flexible and easy to work with from these guys: http://www.mpdolan.com/downloads.htm

It's cookie based and lets you set different levels of users.
    It's main feature is that you can choose which page to redirect users to. Thanks to this feature, I was able to pass the referrer variable and when a user login it takes them back to the page they were originally on - a nice touch. It seems secure and has a little admin back end and everything. The site's not live yet but if you want to poke around I can PM you a link. Their forums also have instructions on how to sync the user table with forum software, I think they're using PunBB on their own site.

Roze, Nov 9, 2005 IP
    blackbug likes this.
  5. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Roze. Silly question, but is it in php? Only that site goes on about being a microsoft certified engineer all over the place...

I'll check it out myself later on, thanks again.

blackbug, Nov 9, 2005 IP
  6. Roze

Roze Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, PHP and it makes total sense too. Install it out of the package on your site and register and login a few times to learn which files do what, then chop away. It's MYSQL too I hope that works for you. Make sure you get their latest version, it's 1.3 I think.

Roze, Nov 9, 2005 IP
  7. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot. I'll be looking into that one later!

(Mysql is perfect)

blackbug, Nov 9, 2005 IP