1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

User-friendly MySQL GUI for adding & editing records

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by richardjay, Nov 15, 2013.

Can anyone recommend a really user-friendly GUI for adding & editing records in a MySQL database ?

I want to outsource some product database updating to an oDesker but myphpadmin is too daunting to someone who'se used to MS Access or something.

Any suggestions ? Preferably PHP.

richardjay, Nov 15, 2013 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Just get them to make the updates and put them in a csv file. Then import the csv file into the database.

PoPSiCLe, Nov 15, 2013 IP
  3. richardjay

richardjay Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I want to avoid doing that - they're skilled enough to use a database, but myphpadmin is too much

4. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Navicat. Not free but best GUI hands down. I think they may still have a free trial.

jestep, Nov 15, 2013 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    How incompetent does one have to be to not get phpmyadmin? It's... well... maybe 3-4 mouseclicks to get to "insert" and then just fill in the fields?

PoPSiCLe, Nov 15, 2013 IP
  6. richardjay

richardjay Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks Jestep.

PoPiCLe - it's also probably 3-4 mouseclicks to cause a lot of damge to the db !

7. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    You can limit what a user can do and not do in the config-file for phpmyadmin. But yes, of course, if a user is stupid enough to click "empty" or "drop" and then confirm it after getting told in big red script that it's a bad idea... there's a reason why qualified people get paid more :D

PoPSiCLe, Nov 17, 2013 IP
  8. manish_khanna

manish_khanna Member

Best Answers:
    You are after a Admin where office admin can add/remove/list data but cannot screw everything up.
    there is a bit of work involved to create modules and connect to the mysql in first place,

I never used a opensource but I know there are some that exist. Not sure if phpnuke can do that or not but worth checking

I have created something similar ages ago which I still use to create back-ends of custom based websites.
    Unfortunately it is not opensource, have to protect my clients...

manish_khanna, Nov 18, 2013 IP
  9. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    It's a fairly simple PHP-project, allowing given users to insert or/and update select tables in the database with given information. A simple form, a little bit of jQuery trickery, and a connection to a given database (or several, if need be).

PoPSiCLe, Nov 19, 2013 IP
  10. khodem

khodem Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well there is many option and here is some other than navicate:
    - HeidiSQL which is free
    - SQLyog MySQL which is not free you can use trial for data entry job
    - DbVisualizer 21 days trial works for data entry job
    - Toad for MySQL
    here are some option depends on you what you gonna use but all works for Data Entry job you require

cheers

khodem, Dec 12, 2013 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    +1 for SqlYog

but really think about whether the user should have access to the database directly.

Updating in a spreadsheet that includes the record id and then turn that data into update statements sounds much safer.

sarahk, Dec 12, 2013 IP
  12. khodem

khodem Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well you can always restrict user based on the level control you want them.. you can create temporary table and give read and write access to that only to them... once they done updating you can validate data on that table itself and if all is good you can directly insert them from that table to main table with SQL statement

khodem, Dec 12, 2013 IP
  13. philnet

philnet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    +1 for Heidi SQL, I've used it as I was originally from a SQL Server background and I found it far easier to manipulate the database with this.

philnet, Jan 29, 2014 IP
  14. Jordik

Jordik Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of those tools are not free. Some of their editions are expensive. If you want easy-to-use and user friendly and affordable tool I recommend you to look at the dbForge Studio for MySQL http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/
    Check it's pricing and a free version and you understand what I am saying.

Jordik, Feb 25, 2015 IP
  15. hotnoob

hotnoob Member

Best Answers:
    I can't agree more with this!

OP, If they can't even use PHPMyAdmin, then do you think it is a good idea for them to be screwing around with a database in the first place?

OP, i recommend you go with PHPMyAdmin, and teach them how to use it, along side with the basics of databasing. If they are too stupid to learn it, or if you have a large number of users, than you sure as hell need to make a UI for them. Or is it an acceptable risk to have the entire database deleted or randomly screwed up?

hotnoob, Mar 11, 2015 IP