1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

useing images that are hosted on other sites

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by gder01, Aug 20, 2006.

I go to google images, find some pictures. i copy the images location and then place the picture into my blog. technically I am not hosting this image, the original site is.

Is this legal? Or was it wishfull thinking:D

gder01, Aug 20, 2006 IP
  2. RRWH

RRWH Active Member

Best Answers:
    At the very least it is theft!

You are putting a link to your image into YOUR site, and there is someone out there hosting the image, and paying for it - theft.

Be very careful doing this as you have absolutely no control over the image.

I personally have been known to change an image that is being leeched from my site to the most disgusting pr0n image I can find - and guess whose site that will show up on (and it wont be mine)...

RRWH, Aug 21, 2006 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  3. Mike S.

Mike S. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, funniest thing I heard in a good while.

At the very least, you should get permission from the web owner of the site that the image is hosted on, if it is a corporate site, try to get written permission opposed to an email. Both can be upheld in court, but a written authorization is better legal documentation.

Mike S., Aug 21, 2006 IP
  4. 50plus

50plus Guest

Best Answers:
    Leeching or hotlinking is theft. Not only do you pass off the image as your own - which it is not - but you are also using (ie stealing) the bandwidth of the owner each time your paged is viewed and the image is called from its original location.

You will find that hardly anybody will allow you to do so.

50plus, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  5. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    code can be injected into pictures as well.. making them more dangerous to place on your site.. your basically giving somebody else an opportunity to write code directly onto your site..

klown, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  6. LongHaul

LongHaul Peon

Best Answers:
    What about copying an image from a website, reworking it in Photoshop, then hosting it yourself with a caption mentioning the website address you got it from... but not getting implicit permission? Not the header image from Citibank's website or anything, just an obscure image from an obscure website.

Think it would be ok?

LongHaul, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  7. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    not really, still considered stealing content. i doubt they would find it though, if you steal an image and rework it i just wouldnt link to their site at all.

u either ask them for permission or dont tell them anything at all about you doing it

klown, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  8. sanlands

sanlands Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, there are a lot of simple scripts that'll make any hotlinked image from a server to be some shock image.. e;g goatse

sanlands, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  9. kmayen

kmayen Peon

Best Answers:
    You are at the least stealing bandwidth from the person who is hosting the image. Some images are public domain you need to know waht ones are.

kmayen, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  10. LongHaul

LongHaul Peon

Best Answers:
    How about if you do a Google image search, and the same image comes up on 10 different websites. Maybe not technically public domain, but close enough right? ;)

LongHaul, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  11. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hotlinking can be disabled by the owner of the images, if they wish.

Lpspider, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  12. accentnepal

accentnepal Peon

Best Answers:
    Although it is not likely, you could be sued by the picture owner for using their pictures - even if the picture is scattered over several other websites without the owner's permission. The chances of a lawsuit increase with the successfulness of your site, a little ticking problem waiting to happen.

Photos in the Public Domain are free to use - this includes most US government and NASA photos, and photos taken before 1923. This is a vast area to find photos. There are also a number of free photo sites such as http://www.sxc.hu/ (Read the terms).

It is just a little more work to avoid trouble - and to respect the owners of the photos. How would you feel if you found one of your own photos on someone else's website without your permission?

I thought so.

accentnepal, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  13. Peter Avey

Peter Avey Peon

Best Answers:
    I once posted a image of peoples sun tans, there was a surfer, a bike rider etc..etc.. and a programmer, obviousely the programmer was pure white, i found it very very funny and posted it on a forum.. Then the image got changed to a soopy dog saying im so sad posting this..

And did i get it ripped out of me yes i did! :p

Peter Avey, Aug 31, 2006 IP
  14. aeronautic.net

aeronautic.net Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ask yourself why are you looking for loopholes for theft?

Unless it is crystal clear any IP (intellectual property - photo, story, patent) is in the public domain or your use meets the letter of "Fair Use" (look it up), you must assume, in the case of a photo, it is someone's copyrighted property (in the USA at least).

As to your question - Associated Press (AP) stories show up on thousands of sites - are those public domain? No, they are syndicated. And I'm sure stolen often too.

People who hotlink without permission suck. And yes, I deal with this issue all the time. Forums and Myspace are the worst. :mad:

aeronautic.net, Aug 31, 2006 IP
  15. gder01

gder01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    so when you get the disgusting image to get the person back, do you get premission from the pron site?

gder01, Sep 9, 2006 IP
  16. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    Agree, one of my clients had such problem, having to work on a mod_rewrite for her to stop such rascals.

Bandwidth theft has decreased, hotlinking remains tho.

However instead of stolen pictures, surfers can see a lightweight image inviting them to visit my client's website

Pat Gael, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  17. Angelus

Angelus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How did you do that? :)

p.l.u.r.

Angelus, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  18. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    Add the following to the very top of your .htaccess file:

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://YOUR_WEBSITE.com/.*$ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://YOUR_WEBSITE.com$ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://www.YOUR_WEBSITE.com/.*$ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://www.YOUR_WEBSITE.com$ [NC]

RewriteRule .*\.(bmp|jpg|jpeg|gif|png|tif)$ /YOUR_DIRECTORY_FOR ALLOWED_IMAGES/your_promo_image.gif [R,L]

Code (markup):
    Upload this .htaccess to the root directory and all the images on your site will be protected.

However you will need to grant permissions for displaying your promo image and probably others elsewhere, such as banenrs, buttons, your own postings in forums, etc.

Create YOUR_DIRECTORY_FOR ALLOWED_IMAGES and upload onto this area such allowed images.

Now create another .htaccess exclusively for this directory, with nothing else except this:

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ^.*$ - 

Code (markup):
    And you are done! :)

Pat Gael, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  19. danielong

danielong Peon

Best Answers:
    Great info.. could use it in future

danielong, Sep 16, 2006 IP