1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

use of subdomains? any good for adsense?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by _vlada_, Jun 1, 2005.

I recently started website with posibility of 100 subdomains (subdomain.website.com)

Well, if anyone know is there any good of them? I mean is subdomains good for search engines and, after that, for adsense program?

I plan to run different themes on subdomains.

_vlada_

_vlada_, Jun 1, 2005 IP
  2. paymentapprovaltooslow

paymentapprovaltooslow Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't think it would matter if you have subdominas or not.

paymentapprovaltooslow, Jun 1, 2005 IP
  3. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Just because you can have 100 subdomains does not mean you need or should use them, however subdomains can be used well with adsense for targeting keywords.

sji2671, Jun 1, 2005 IP
  4. _vlada_

_vlada_ Peon

Best Answers:

I wrote that is posible to have up to 100 subdomain. I dont plan to use all of them and maybe none. that is question. Let me explain:

Iam archtect, and, I plan to have subdomain about architectural history. BUT I also plan to have some part of site about home plans, construction...

Well, my question is about like this: is it in this case better to use subdomains - one archhistory.mysite.com other homeplans.mysite.com or is it same with www.mysite.com/archhistory and www.mysite.com/homeplans?

Does it same for adsense - mediapartners googlebot or is better to have subs?

Thanks, and sorry for my Bad english..

_vlada_

_vlada_, Jun 1, 2005 IP
  5. lonecrow

lonecrow Peon

Best Answers:
    I did a test the other day and yes using your subdomains that way can be good for targeting your adsense. In my case it was blog.lonecrow.net and I received lots of blog ads even though 'blog' did not appear anywhere in teh page iteself. When I changed the subdomain to trees.lonecrow.net then I received ads related to trees. So the URL seems to be weighted pretty heavy to determine ad context.

Just make sure that the same pages can not be reached via more then one subdomain so that you avoid duplicate content penalties.

If your ads are already being targeted well then maybe using many subdomains will just create unneccessary work for you. For example if your using session variables then every time the user crosses from one sub-domain to another it'll start a new session. And if your using SSL as part of a shopping cart, you'll either need a certificate for each sub-domain or send all your users to the main domain when they go to cart. If your using session variables and an SSL cart then allot of sub-domains can be a pain in the arse.

lonecrow, Jun 1, 2005 IP
  6. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In my personal opinion, good sorrounding text content is the best target for adsense.

Subdomains, as far as SEO goes, are the same as any other domain. THey are good when you use some. But do not abuse (it will not hurt your SEO though).

Subdomains may matter a good deal, for adsense, but text always remains the best target.

Cristian Mezei, Jun 1, 2005 IP
  7. JoeO

JoeO Peon

Best Answers:
    I've recently purchased a domain with the intent to make a bunch of completely different sites on it as subdomains. With the format key-word.domain.com (just trying to save some money well testing out a few things ;))

The adsense ads have been targeted quite well.

JoeO, Jun 1, 2005 IP
  8. _vlada_

_vlada_ Peon

Best Answers:
    GREAT HELP people! thanks!

_vlada_, Jun 1, 2005 IP
  9. MobileP

MobileP Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think many subdomains would help if you don't have any traffic to them...

MobileP, Jun 3, 2005 IP
  10. cornelius

cornelius Peon

Best Answers:
    u could have problems with sessions if you use them

cornelius, Jun 3, 2005 IP
  11. Critters

Critters Guest

Best Answers:
    you will, and problems with cookies.

Critters, Jun 3, 2005 IP
  12. _vlada_

_vlada_ Peon

Best Answers:

Can someone, please, explain problems with sessions and cookies?

_vlada_, Jun 3, 2005 IP