1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Use Dreamweaver Template Option or CMS?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by webguy84, Sep 4, 2007.

Hi guys,
    I am thinking of creating a large website full of contentand I am undecided if i should use the Dreamveaver Template option or a cms. I am tried joomla up to now and it seems quite complicated and I noticed that even with a cms the content has to be entered in every page. By using the dreamweaver template option can t one make changes to a certain part of the page on the template page and automatically have those changes implemented to all the pages using the template?

Thx

webguy84, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  2. Jaques

Jaques Guest

Best Answers:
    Jaques, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  3. webguy84

webguy84 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What I meant is. What is the best solution? Cause with cms's one has to stay adding content page by page just the same. :S

webguy84, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  4. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Doing it with dreamweaver is going to make your life 10x more difficult. I agree that Joomla has way too much stuff packed into it - why not try some other free CMS's? Modx, dupral, etc?

If you create it in Dreamweaver, it will not be very desirable in a few years when you eventually want an entirely new format and modules.

Pixelrage, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  5. neysyah

neysyah Active Member

Best Answers:
    could be joomla its to complex but it realy helpfull for your content

neysyah, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  6. gaurav pratap

gaurav pratap Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi budy,

You have bit of confusion in deciding the using of Dreamweaver template and CMS in developing your large website. Any person can edit/delete/upload images etc. in CMS whether he/she would be trained or not. But in Dreamweaver, a person should trained and must be specilised then the Dreamweaver user can operate.
    Its all up to you which option would be best for your website.

Thankyou.

gaurav pratap, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  7. webguy84

Best Answers:
    I think that dupral is more complicated. What do you think?

webguy84, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  8. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    It might be, I'm used to CMS's and havent used Dupral in years...there are much more simple ones out there. I'm not sure about the upcoming version of Joomla, but from my experiences, the load time was unacceptable and I had issues with many of the popular plugins.

Pixelrage, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  9. webguy84

Best Answers:
    Any recommendations for easy and efficient cms's? thx

webguy84, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  10. refid

refid Guest

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver is defintely more complex. I'd go with cMS

refid, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  11. Taler

Taler Peon

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver or CMS? What the hell? They're not even remotely the same thing. You use a CMS like everyone else and create the theme/style/skin/whatever in Dreamweaver. That's what it's used for.

Taler, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  12. Zetman

Zetman Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm thinking of the same issue recently. I used to make website by dreamweaver, and I'm new to CMS, I started to learn drupal cos people said it's powerful.

IMO, CMS can be very powerful when people develop many free plugins and scripts which make website management much easier, and I can't see any dreamweaver plugin development. One of the reason may be CMS like Drupal are open source. To me, Dreamweaver is much more familiar than CMS right now, but I think CMS like drupal will be a better solution in the future. Just my opinion.

Zetman, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  13. Visual Realm

Visual Realm Peon

Best Answers:
    Can someone post a link to a drupal downloading page?

Visual Realm, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  14. Zetman

Zetman Peon

Best Answers:
    Zetman, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  15. JDub

JDub Peon

Best Answers:
    Notice: it is now 2011...so here's an update since this topic is still appearing on the Searches :)

As a Web designer, I have used Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal. Guess what: they still suck! Here is why:

• They take time to learn, and you must re-learn a little with each new version.
    • The "free" plugins all work differently, conflict with each other and break when the CMS version updates.
    • The developer community (in all 3 cases) tend to communicate poorly (sad but true).
    • Often "free" plugins are a scam. When you need to modify them even a bit, you often find they are coded in a way to intentionally make it time-consuming to figure out...so you will purchase the developers *pay* tech support just to save time and not annoy your client.

When MIGHT I use a CMS? If was building a large website and had plenty of money in the budget for buying professional-grade plugins, I might use a CMS (probably Joomla because it currently has the most development going on).

When would I NOT USE a CMS? If the site is not going to change yet, does not have multiple users and is relatively small (under 20 pages?).

In summary: Dreamweaver is still better. And if you know/learn how to code a little PHP, creating a simple CMS is not that hard. It's basically just taking text from a file (your changing content) and pulling it into your HTML file in the right place.

That's my opinion. Good luck!

Justin
    http://infogardens.net

JDub, Jul 29, 2011 IP
  16. Webgold

Webgold Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Justin!

I have been looking for a simple CMS for multiple websites and have stumbled across this thread from google as well.

I have found it very hard to find what I am looking for and I agree with WP, Joomla etc you always need to update because of some secutiry issue etc

I am still sticking with DW for now as well, as I can't find a CMS that will do the simple tasks I want.

Webgold, Nov 15, 2011 IP
  17. nesrinamb

nesrinamb Member

Best Answers:
    if your going to be adding content regularly i say use a CMS, I'm not really that much into web design but i found that drupal work's best for adding content regularly. I tried joomla but never really liked it for some reason.

nesrinamb, Nov 20, 2011 IP
  18. MsNN

MsNN Peon

Best Answers:
    I have used nearly every CMS out there, and can code by hand/DW (I have been developing online since 1996). I tend to use Joomla more often than others because it combines flexibility (SO many different extensions) with relative ease of use.

Then again, I train my clients on how to use Joomla, and they love it, too... after getting the basics down.

It's a very powerful system, but not right for every situation. *smiles*

MsNN, Nov 23, 2011 IP
  19. JerrickYeoh

JerrickYeoh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Seem you face lack of knowledge by using CMS. Why not use up wordpress template while i feel it may better than Dreamweaver template.

JerrickYeoh, Dec 2, 2011 IP
  20. cogzidel

cogzidel Peon

Best Answers:
    CMS is goog idea. Whether you mnow or dont know, it only pays good result.

cogzidel, Dec 22, 2011 IP