1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

.us or longer .com?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by NineFingers, Dec 6, 2005.

I am not sure which is better.. term1term2.us or term1term2pro.com ? the phrase term1term2 gets a lot of searches but the .com is already taken. the only concern I have with the .us is that people might want to come back and use the .com (parked) while the "pro" at the end might be harder to remember. Help please and thanks!

NineFingers, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  2. Johnburk

Johnburk Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think search engines really like .us

I may be wrong.

Johnburk, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  3. creepah

creepah Peon

Best Answers:
    today i had the choice of regging a long .com or a shorter .us and i chose the short .us :)

creepah, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  4. cpmx

cpmx Peon

Best Answers:
    I would go for the shorter .us, I think search engines would target better your site to a us based audience. I have experience with another country code extension. Just take the time to create enough incoming links to your site.

cpmx, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  5. NineFingers

NineFingers Peon

Best Answers:
    I will go with the .us I don't really expect people to type-in the address so it's all about SE position.

NineFingers, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  6. romow

romow Peon

Best Answers:
    i don't agree.

romow, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  7. norfstar

norfstar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd choose the shorter .US version.

Search engines don't take the top-level domain into account (except for helping determine the country of the site for local results).

norfstar, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  8. HP11

HP11 Peon

Best Answers:
    It really depends on what you are using it for. If it is to complement an offline business than I really think that the .com is better (even if it is longer) because when someone types the name into their browser, they may type .com by default. If you are using the domain purely online, I don't think it really matters.

HP11, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  9. pwaring

pwaring Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can't you just register both? Domains are fairly cheap nowadays and if you're making money from the site it shouldn't matter too much if you're paying two sets of fees.

pwaring, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  10. NineFingers

NineFingers Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point Pwaring but I can't really promote both of them so I was interested on which I should focus.

Thanks!

NineFingers, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  11. SumitBahl

SumitBahl Reign of Chaos

Best Answers:
    For some reason have always preferred .com over any other. Moreover if your mode of promotion is via SEs, then people will click on links from google rather than typing.

SumitBahl, Dec 10, 2005 IP
  12. jkomp

jkomp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The idea that non .com extensions are somehow devalued by SEs is completely unsubstantiated, SEs want to provide quality results - do you think they will compromise the quality of their results (and risk losing their user base/market share) just because your site isn't a .com?

As for which one to register. I am not sure that either of those domains is very well branded, with little marketability and recognition factor for both. If I were you I would find a unique brand, i.e. one that isn't registered .com - there are still plenty of good names available. It is still true that the .com for a domain receives far more traffic than the same domain on other extensions, however, it is unclear whether this is just because the .com is usually older or/and the general public are more familiar with .com extension, however, let me be clear IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SE PREJUDICE! Beyond agism that is.

jkomp, Dec 10, 2005 IP