1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

URGENT! WordPress Portal URL Structure Like Yahoo, Single or Multisite Installation.

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Quicko, Dec 27, 2012.

Guys, I'll make this short as possible.

I'm trying to start a portal with my friends using WORDPRESS, and when I say a portal, I mean like many different specialized websites (for cars, women only, men section, sports, news) etc. These just some examples in my head.

Let's now go to yahoo.com for example, you will notice:

- yahoo.com (main website)
    - news.yahoo.com (news section).
    - finance.yahoo.com (finance section).
    - shine.yahoo.com (shine section).
    - omg.yahoo.com (omg section). >>> this also appears when you go to (omg.com)
    - and many other sections.

So question is:

1- does yahoo has different CMS installation with different database for each section? (Regardless how big its setup, just think of yahoo as if it was WordPress website?

2- or yahoo has one big installation, with different sections as above? like one single database. ( I think not, most probably).

Why I'm asking this?

Because I need to do same thing somehow to have portal.

example.com (my main website)
    cars.example.com (cars section)
    women.example.com (women section)
    news.example.com (news section)
    sports.example.com (sport news section)
    and many subdomains.

Now think of how you'll love to do this with word press? Will you create new WordPress Installation for each subdomain with new database?

Or you will use WordPress Multisite feature? so you will have all of these website sharing one database and not really separated database-wise.?

And what is the server specs needed for that? would VPS be enough for this also?

Please guys, think with me, help me.

Quicko, Dec 27, 2012 IP