1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Urgent: Site takes higher loading time.......

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Mohit, May 23, 2005.

Hi........

I am a beginner. I have developed website in Php/MySql. But my home page takes some more time to load in some of the browsers

Check this http://www.direct2deal.com

sorry, this is my first post so i can't able to post link here. So, plz open it and give me help.

Can Mysql stored procedures help me? I don't know the concepts of stored procedures. If any buddy in group knows
    pl. help me

Its very urgent. Your feedback/suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Mohit, May 23, 2005 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Why would you want a homepage which is nearly 20 miles long anyway? No wonder it's slow.

It's as user-unfriendly as it can get. As if anyone in their right mind will ever read the whole page.

Create a decent nav structure and your problem is solved + site a lot better!

And I guess you pull them on-the-fly from amazon which is relatively slow as well. Use a caching mechanism if yuo can.

T0PS3O, May 23, 2005 IP
  3. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Reduce image size (and optimize them by lowering the quality slightly)

Divide that home page content between MANY pages.

Report from http://www.submitexpress.com (use the metatag analyser)
    977 KEYWORDS!

This page contains too many URLs.
    This tag contains 286 urls. Some Search Engines have problems with more than 100 urls on a page.
    The size of the web page is to big.
    The size of the web page is 660765 bytes.

The rest you can find out directly from that site

Design Agent, May 23, 2005 IP
  4. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    If you think about the size of a web page in kilobytes, then think that a 56k modem user may only get about 4k/s upload time then the maximum size of 1 page should be about 60k at the very very most. Most users will leave after 15 seconds of waiting.

I would be happy to hear any other opinions on maximum page size. :)

Weirfire, May 23, 2005 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    All you need to know is that most people won't read below the fold (unless it's VERY targeted to what they are searching for and they KNOW they landed on a VERY targeted page - never a homepage). If it doesn't fit without scrolling, chop it up, it's too big.

T0PS3O, May 23, 2005 IP
  6. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    There are way too many images on the page. Break it down into further categories. The total data transfer for that page is 1040815 bytes which will take 208 seconds to download via dial-up modem. I try to keep total page transfers between 7 and 14 seconds.

I also noticed that your ad banner at the very top right of the page loaded last and well after everything else on the page. If it is being served from an external source then you need to look into ways to speed it up.

tflight, May 23, 2005 IP
  7. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    The total page weight (total size in bytes for all code, images on other objects) is a whopping 1,032,594 bytes! The download and rendering time on a 56k dial-up connection is 206 seconds.

You need to dramatically trim the size of this page. 45% of USA home Internet users are still on dial-up connections. If you want a page to download and render in 10 seconds or less for users on a good 56k dial-up connection, the practical limit is 60,000 bytes, but you can stretch that to 100,000 bytes for a graphic-rich page.

To verify this, use Andrew King's Web page analyzer at http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

TechEvangelist, May 23, 2005 IP
  8. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    Here's me saying don't go over 60k and 2 of my sites are over it!! lol

Better go and optimize those images. :)

Weirfire, May 23, 2005 IP
  9. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Navigation and multiple pages would help a great deal, as everyone has pointed out. Sorry, I can't help you with the Mysql stored procedures question but I'm fairly confident it isn't the answer.

mcfox, May 23, 2005 IP
  10. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    Stored procedures are only available in MySQL v5, which is still in its beta. In any case, stored procedures will not help you to speed up your pages, unless you use a very specific way of dealing with the database and the database is located on a dedicated machine or if it's located on the same machine but you have some CPUs dedicated to the DBMS. Just as many on this thread have put it absolutely correctly, it's the sheer amount of data a browser has to pump (1MB+) and the number of image references that makes this page slow.

J.D.

J.D., May 23, 2005 IP