1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

uptimerobot.com - can you trust the results?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by bilby, Mar 19, 2015.

I started using Uptime Robot a couple of weeks ago and really like the price and simplicity of UI, but some of the results just don't make sense to me. For example, I see really big bursts in ping time (up to a few seconds) but no increase in HTTP response time for the same periods at the same site... bizarre.

I am curious to hear what kind of experience others have when using UR.

bilby, Mar 19, 2015 IP
  2. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You probably can't trust these :(. I used pingdom and uptime robot for the same sites/pages and the response time charts for the same periods differ significantly. The results from pingdom are always better in terms of measured response times, sometimes they look too good (as they don't correspond to respond times shown by GA).
    Results from uptimerobot show a lot of spikes but when I compare these with the data (from uptimerobot) for other pages or pings the match is not there - this makes me very suspicious. IMHO, all these measuring tools are only good for checking if your site is up, I don't trust their response time measurements (based on my analysis of collected data).

Jeffr2014, Mar 20, 2015 IP
  3. Krotix-Geek

Krotix-Geek Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It works perfectly for me. It depends on how you set it up. Make sure you tell it to check port 80/443 on your server and it does it's job.

Krotix-Geek, Mar 27, 2015 IP
  4. bilby

bilby Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you explain please (re "how you set it up")? For example, I don't see any settings in UptimeRobot that allow specifying the port... They really only allow 2 settings: URL (or IP) and monitoring interval.

bilby, Mar 27, 2015 IP
  5. Krotix-Geek

Krotix-Geek Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Click "Add New Monitor" > Select "Port" and fill in your details.

Krotix-Geek, Mar 27, 2015 IP
  6. [ET]Alexander

[ET]Alexander Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't exactly "rely" on the results provided by such tools as uptime robot, however as a means for added monitoring sure. Some utilize Uptime Robot along side Nagios, Pingdom and an in-house solution. Someone ask if this excessive, however some look at quad-redundancy in monitoring their customers. There are a lot of solutions out there that you can utilize for your business as well to monitor the uptime and response of your system(s).

[ET]Alexander, Mar 29, 2015 IP
  7. bilby

bilby Peon

Best Answers:
    Got it. Thanks @Krotix-Geek.

bilby, Mar 29, 2015 IP
  8. HMB Shiraz

HMB Shiraz Member

Best Answers:
    Pingdom and Uptime Robot are pretty good. We've also been testing out StatusCake and been very happy with how it works. Just make sure your server firewalls aren't blocking the uptime checkers, as it may register the server as being down but it was really just bocked by the firewall

HMB Shiraz, Apr 2, 2015 IP
  9. Hostname.club

Hostname.club Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    We have no problem with Uptimerobot. Please ensure you add their IPs to your server firewall, and it will not be trouble with you!

Hostname.club, May 4, 2015 IP
  10. blogdum

blogdum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am using Uptimerobot since few months and results are just fine. Can't say they are accurate but useful to track uptime.

blogdum, May 9, 2015 IP