1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Uploading big images fail

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by HRA, Jan 4, 2015.

Hi,

I have a site.
    Its a local classified site. It uses Wordpress and its highly customized to fit my needs.
    Im starting to get some advertisers to it and I noticed some users upload big images (more than 1 mb).
    They informed me that they weren't able to complete the ad posting because they get a white blank page when trying to upload images.

I tracked the image file/s they tried to upload from both Media section in Wordpress backend and wp-content folder from FTP. I found out that the image they tried to upload was bigger than 1 mb.

I have my site in Hostgator Shared plan as its not a very big one yet.

So what are things you can suggest that would help me to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    HRA, Jan 4, 2015 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    billzo, Jan 4, 2015 IP
  3. HRA

HRA Active Member

Best Answers:
    It says 64M.
    I tried to upload 1 mb image file, but that doesn't work too.
    Thanks for replying.

HRA, Jan 4, 2015 IP
  4. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, the PHP settings are the first place to check. So your settings for upload_max_filesize and post_max_size are both 64M (64 megabytes).

What is your setting for max_execution_time? It should be 30 seconds. Does it take longer than 30 seconds to upload the image?

You are getting a white screen with no error message? My only other thought is that your website is hitting the host's resource consumption limit and the process is being terminated. Inside your wp-config.php file, find the line that says:

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

and change false to true. Try uploading a file and see if an error message is returned when it fails. Otherwise, you are going to have to contact your host's support for this because I am out of ideas.

billzo, Jan 4, 2015 IP
  5. Pigeon Yoga

Pigeon Yoga Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are you using Apache or nginx? Ive only used apache but i know both have filesize settings. http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-apache-increase-php-upload-limit/

Pigeon Yoga, Jan 4, 2015 IP
  6. HRA

HRA Active Member

Best Answers:
    Both of them are 64M.

Max execution time is 30 secs too. Now that you said it, I tried again uploading 1.15mb file. I started counting the seconds it takes to show to white blank page after clicking submit. Guess what? 30 seconds after I click the submit button it shows white page.
    So do you think problem lies in there?

Yes, just white blank page. Someone else developed this site for me. I think they installed some plugin to do this. When I checked the plugin list I see this plugin "Alchemist Ajax Upload". Also there is a Watermarking Plugin too. Maybe this is also make image processing last longer.

Not sure if I looked in right place. In phpinfo file, under SERVER_SOFTWARE it says Apache.

Thanks both of you.

HRA, Jan 4, 2015 IP
  7. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It could be there, yes. Try creating a custom php.ini file and setting max_execution_time=60 (or higher) and see if that helps.

billzo, Jan 5, 2015 IP
  8. HRA

HRA Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Thanks for reply. I'll try that.

As I don't have a problem spending a little money if it get this thing solved; I have a question about Amazon S3.
    This is how I understand Amazon S3 relating to my problem. Please tell me if Im wrong.

Right now when user uploads a image, it is transferred from advertiser PC to my shared hosting server (Hostgator server).
    As my site is in Shared hostgator server, its possible that there are timeouts, max connection amount etc. (basically "limits") So when a user transfer big file, Hostgator shared server can't handle it.
    But if we move to Amazon S3, image will be transferred DIRECTLY from advertiser PC to Amazon servers. That means amazon server will take care of the timeouts, server loads etc.
    This will give advertisers the ability to upload large images without any problem.

I googled about "Directly" uploading media from Wordpress to Amazon and apparently its possible.

So what do you think about moving to Amazon S3. Will it work?

Thanks

HRA, Jan 5, 2015 IP
  9. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should not have any problem uploading any image to any Wordpress site on any decent web host.

As for Amazon S3, unless you are doing very high traffic or have need for a high level of computing power (such as a scientist calculating data), then I don't think you should even think about Amazon S3. I have read that it can be expensive. I have no experience with it though.

Since you are on a cheap shared hosting, you probably don't have any need for anything at the level of Amazon. If you start building your traffic, then you would go with more serious hosting, like a VPS. Then if your traffic builds more, then you could start concerning yourself with dedicated servers or something like Amazon S3.

billzo, Jan 5, 2015 IP
  10. HRA

HRA Active Member

Best Answers:
    No. I don't have lot of traffic yet.
    But Im looking for a permanent or at least durable solution for my problem.
    Amazon sounded like a good option as I'll only have to pay for resources I use.
    Thanks

HRA, Jan 5, 2015 IP