1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Updating Sitemaps

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by ElvisFan, Aug 2, 2005.

Just would like to understand the google sitemap protocol

I update content articles on my site just about every day. I created a google sitemap some time ago.... which works well... now all my pages on my site are being botted.... "great"

My questions is: do I need to add my "new" pages url to my sitemap and resubmit it to google everytime I update my site?

And when I do re-submit my sitemap will I loose my SE google ranking?

Please what is the best way to use and optimise my sitemap when I add new articles on my site...

thanks,

ElvisFan, Aug 2, 2005 IP
  2. Imran

Imran Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Answer to your question really varies, depending on where and what type of articles [static or dynamic] are.

Say static: In most cases if you add static pages google will index even without Sitemap, how ever for quick reference for google bot, You can provide the updated Sitemap only if you have added Articles in a difference folder, for example if you had articles on a folder "Article", and added new Information in say folder "news" You can just provide the Url for the new folder that will be enough!

If you have dynamic site, You may need to provide the sitemap, If you have added new categories, new Topics, If you are adding news on the same categories and topics it is not required to update and re-submit the sitemap.

Sitemaps are just for bot's reference [quick reference, well some times takes long time]. Updated sitemaps always help!

Imran, Aug 2, 2005 IP
  3. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay... let me try and explain myself a little better... When I update my site (using FrontPage) I create and new page eg: elvispresleynews.com/NewPage.html etc which usually includes written content and of course adsense ads...

These updates are stand alone pages... after which add the /NewPage.html link to my internal sitemap which list all my articles...

So my question is... do I need to update my google sitemap everytime and re-submit it to google... and how does that effect my google SE ranking...

thanks.... bit slow on the uptake this morning...

ElvisFan, Aug 2, 2005 IP
  4. gobulldogs

gobulldogs Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry to bump an older thread, but I have the same question and I don't see it answered yet. If I've already established some backlinks, do I have to keep re-submitting my sitemap every time I update or will G automatically re-spider me through my BLs? Thanks for the help - I can't seem to find a good answer to this one.

gobulldogs, Sep 5, 2005 IP
  5. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    I think if your goal is to make sure that google is aware of all your pages, then you want to create a new sitemap when you update it. Google pulls site maps every day. So when you make changes, create a new one and put it up.

This can be easy, or difficult depending on circumstances. For some of my sites I have multiple sitemaps. A static one that I generate and then upload for the pages that are updated less frequently, and then I have dynamic sitemap generation for things that are updated all the time. (forums for example).

So if I make article changes and such, I will create a new sitemap and upload it. I am still looking for a worthwhile solution for creating a decent sitemap automatically. I found a pretty decent windows program that creates Google sitemaps and it doesn't require much work, but much work is still some work.

So I am working on automating the whole thing.

Regardless, I guess it depends on your motivation for using sitemaps. If you want to make sure google will always have the best chance to index as many of your pages as possible, it make sense to update it when you add new content.

If you just used it to get indexed initially, then don't worry about. Although I am pretty sure nobody is entirely clear on the benefit of the sitemaps or what weight it has in google's interest in spidering sites. Although many people here have reported they got a lot more pages indexed once they started using site maps.

aeiouy, Sep 5, 2005 IP
  6. gobulldogs

gobulldogs Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm...G has only indexed my front page at this point, so I'm thinking that I need to resubmit. Thanks for the quick answer.

I'm using VIGOS Gsitemap to create my sitemaps. It's free and seems to work pretty well for me, but my site is all simple HTML. No idea how well it works with anything else. I think their website is gsitemap.com.

gobulldogs, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  7. Deano

Deano Sail away with me.

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I've just put sitemaps on my site (used GSite crawler to make them). I intend to update the site map every couple of weeks.

Anyway my question is, when I replace the old sitemap.xml with the new one, do I also have to resubmit the sitemap? I'd of thought that google will just be able to read the new sitemap.xml file, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Deano, Oct 9, 2005 IP
  8. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow this is an old post.

I agree with aeiouy - if you make a change like adding pages then it is suggested you update the sitemap and resubmit but in your case if the site is being botted great, why change?

Points on that.

Sitemaps doesn’t seem to that old with Google? They still don’t offer support except for the suggestion on using the Google Groups.

I think once the whole sitemap technology is bug free and Google have full understanding of it they are going to weed out as many bad sites as possible, which they have already started doing.

So say you dont bother updating the sitemap would this be signal to Google saying your not a serious webmaster? Their guidelines are pointing towards building 100% friendly sites which would include updating the sitemap.

Now on the other hand if you do update the sitemap are you also giving Goolge exact details of your site allowing them to better study your whole design & structure, allowing them to make better judgment on how your site should be indexed and ranked - meaning it could actually end up hurting you. And updating the site too often to quick can hurt, its suggested it should be a gradual update.

That’s something that has been eating at me for ages.

cormac, Oct 13, 2005 IP