1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

update joomla website

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by sara malik, Dec 13, 2013.

I am trying to update joomla website from 1.7.3 version to latest version but I am having some problems :

1) when I click on option button [​IMG] it don't have "Update Source", it only have option of "Permission"

2) when I Select Components from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel there is no option of Joomla! Update

sara malik, Dec 13, 2013 IP
  2. hoftl

hoftl Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

IN THEORY you can update Joomla site 1.7.3 in automated mode, but IN REALITY this is possible if 1) you have no any third party extension installed, just bare Joomla CMS as is; 2) you have default Joomla settings and not a line of code has a touch of a programmer

if you had 2.5.x site there won't be such troubles

so the best way out is to invite a programmer to help you with platform update and components update
    If you are a fighter, then you can dig the code yourself, but I would advise spend a little money and order this service from Joomla teams. I like this one http://www.joomplace.com/joomla-support-services.html

If you will have questions, PM me

hoftl, Dec 18, 2013 IP
  3. sara malik

sara malik Member

Best Answers:
    Well i have found solution for it, I would suggest anyone who is trying to upgrade joomla website to read this article : http://docs.joomla.org/J3.2:Upgrading_from_an_existing_version

You can read complete article or here are few steps to do upgrade (I strongly recommend to read complete article )

Step 1: Make sure you have a current backup of your site
    In many cases, your host will make periodic site backups.

Step 2: Locate the update file
    Locate the required archive file (for example, .zip, .tag.gz, or tar.bz2 archive) for your version. If you are updating to an x.x.0 release (for example, from 1.7.3 to 2.5.0), this will normally be a file like Joomla_2.5.0-Stable-Update_Package.zip. If you are updating within the same release series (for example, 2.5.0 to 2.5.1), then the file will be named something like Joomla_2.5.0_to_2.5.1-Stable-Patch_Package.zip.

At this point, you have three options:

1. Install from URL
    2. Install from Directory
    3. Upload Package File
    Install from URL is the easiest to do. With this option, the upgrade archive is loaded directly by the server, so it works well even if your local computer has a slow or unreliable internet connection.

Install from Directory is the safest method if the server itself has a slow internet connection. With this method, you use FTP to load the unpacked update files into a temporary folder on the server. Then you point to that directory on the server for the installation.

Upload Package File is fairly simple, but it requires that you have a good connection between your local computer and the server.

The screen below shows the Extension Manager: Install screen with the three options labeled.

[​IMG]
    Install from URL
    This option is the easiest, if the archive file is available on a website.

1. In the Extension Manager: Install screen, enter the URL for the archive file in the Install URL field.
    2. Press the Install button.
    The system will work for a period of time, up to two minutes or more for a full version update. Then a message indicating a successful installation will display.

Install from Directory
    This option requires that you unpack the archive file in a directory on your server. This is the best method if you have a slow internet connection or you are experiencing timeouts during the update process.

1. Unpack the archive file in a temporary directory on your local machine.
    2. Upload all the files in this directory (for example, using FTP) to a temporary directory that is visible to the web server. For example, you can create a sub-directory under the tmp directory in your Joomla root. For this example, let's say the directory on the server is /home/myuser/myjoomla/tmp/upgrade250).
    3. In the Extension Manager: Install screen, enter the full path of the temporary directory (on the server) from step 2 (for example, /home/myuser/myjoomla/tmp/upgrade250).
    4. Press the Install button.

The system will work for a short time (perhaps a minute or less, depending on your server). Then a message indicating a successful installation will display.

Upload Package File
    This option requires that you first download the archive file to your local machine.

1. Download the file to your local computer.
    2. In the Extension Manager: Install screen, click the Browse button next to the Package File field and browse to the archive file.
    3. Press the Install button.
    The system will work for a period of time, up to two minutes or more for a full version update. Then a message indicating a successful installation will display.

1. Congratulations! At this point, your site is updated.
    Important: Clear your browser cache and check that your site is working correctly. See below Checking Your Site

sara malik, Dec 26, 2013 IP