1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Unsandboxed?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by harver, Mar 9, 2005.

Hi,
    I just wanted to find out if anyone experienced the same as I. One of my sites has been in sandbox since it was created in July, but recently it began to rank quite well. The problem: my site seems 'unsandboxed' for only a few hours everyday. So, when I search for my keyword at say 9 am, my site ranks well, and when I search for the same keyword a few hours later, it's sandboxed. This situation has been going on for 2 weeks now. Has anyone experienced anything similar? If yes, has your site finally got completely 'unsandboxed'? Thanks in advance for all constructive replies.

harver, Mar 9, 2005 IP
  2. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Its probably ranking well on some DCs and not others.

schlottke, Mar 9, 2005 IP
  3. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Im seeing the same thing. Never seen something like that before but i dont think it has to do with being in the sanbox or whatever it is named.I think it more has to do with some update or a sort of filter for competitive keywords cause i do rank well on less competitive keywords and they dont fluctuate excessively all the time. BTW when i use the api tool i dont see any changes at all, well sort of minor changes.

crazyhorse, Mar 10, 2005 IP
  4. asamuel

asamuel Peon

Best Answers:
    I also have seen the same thing, jumping 400 places at times, strange!! I am going to sit tight, as it seems to be settling higher up the serps, so fingers crossed!

asamuel, Mar 10, 2005 IP
  5. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I have also seen the same thing .. site was created in October :D

payoutwindow, Mar 10, 2005 IP
  6. sue

sue Peon

Best Answers:
    Harver - is it deffinatly the same page being listed?
    Check whether one is http://www. or if one is just http://domainname
    Also, are you checking on only google.com and not any of the regional googles (they have started automatically re-directing you now unless you use the tool bar)

Failing that, a few of ours are also bouncing around - not quite as much as yours, but from 100+ to top 10 - which I have put down to google finding a similar (but minor page) on our site which knock each other due to the duplicate content filter.

Next time you notice your page has dropped try adding &filter=0 to the end of the search string and see where you page is ranked then.

sue, Mar 10, 2005 IP
  7. ohcnetwork

ohcnetwork Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a good chance that this is just temporary. I notice that some numbers like # of IBL and # of pages indexed fluctuate for the last couple of days. This should settle down within the next several days, and as the index gets stabilized, you should be able to see how your website is really peforming.

ohcnetwork, Mar 10, 2005 IP
  8. harver

harver Guest

Best Answers:
    It's the same site for sure.

I added &filter=0 - no change in ranking. So I presume it has nothing to do with penalty like dupe content or something like that.

It's nice to hear I'm not alone - I certainly hope that Google serps stabilize sooner or later - the better version of them, of course :)

harver, Mar 10, 2005 IP
  9. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm tracking five different datacenters that are randomly being rotated in the Phoenix area. I've got top 10 positions in two, ranked in the 30s in one and in oblivion for the remaining two.

I'm beginning to suspect that this is the new Google and the switching of datacenters with dissimilar results is intentional.

TechEvangelist, Mar 10, 2005 IP
  10. sue

sue Peon

Best Answers:
    &filter=0 removes host crowding, so dont forget to take this in to account when assessing if it has affected your ranking or not. (ie, if you are no 20 with filter=0, check that 1-19 arent all the same domain, which would theoritically make you rank 3, not, 20.)

There is no way google would do this random switching is interntional as it knows there are too many people who use the search instead of their favourites / or remember there search term rather than the result website they went to.

The other line of thought is that google is favouring different sites depending on the time of day if it can not detect your location via ip. By showing uk relevant sites higher early in the morning and US sites late at night. However I doubt this is whats happening.

sue, Mar 10, 2005 IP