1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

unrelated sites rank high on keyword search

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by Kaediem, Jul 16, 2005.

I've been going crazy trying to improve our site's ranking in google with very little success. I know it takes time - we've gone from non existent to 82 in a few weeks and I suppose that's a good thing but our competitor is ranking #2 so it's not good enough.

What boggles my mind is some of the other sites in the top 10 have little or nothing to do with the keyword.

Detail... our company manufactures t-nuts and t-nut machines. (hardware for the furniture industry). http://www.sigmatool.com

on searching the word t-nuts the number one spot on google is a site about model t cars. his domain name is tnuts.com so that makes a little sense. number 2 is our competitor - ok but looking at the page source it's a little messed up and not terribly different than mine with regards to keywords etc., but number 5 has no reference to the word "t-nuts" at all and is totally unrelated but it does have the phrase "isn't nuts" in the title.

You get the picture....

I just read that I should have different key words on each page so I'll be working on that but most of our pages are about either different styles of t-nuts or different styles of t-nut machines so I thought that using the same keywords was a good idea... not???

I've made sure each page has titles and I've used google's new sitemap thing and re-submitted every time the pages have changed (frequently these days) and optimized my pages with the advice of webceo... anything else I can do?

Any suggestions - criticism's are fine too... would be welcome!

Thanks much!

Lisa
    http://www.sigmatool.com

Kaediem, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  2. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    hi
    how about some text on the "home page"
    your 1st page has no text at all - how do you expect engines to sort it?

Get rid of all the java junk and have 250 words of real text.
    Than get 200 links to that page for starters.

Expat

expat, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  3. Kaediem

Kaediem Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, I know I need more text, but there is text on the page. Is the Java stuff a pitfall or is it just something you don't like? And how do I get 200 links to the page? (something I've never figured out).

Thanks for your comments.

Lisa

p.s. I was looking at your pain page and noticed that your keyword crtiledge is misspelled... is that on purpose or something overlooked?

Kaediem, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  4. Chopster

Chopster Peon

Best Answers:
    Doesn't Google also take into account the traffic to the site. I have a website that is fully optimized based on all the popular methods "keyword density, title tags, etc"...yet, doing a search for my site put me under some other really off-topic pages.

Upon closer inspection, I realized the source code of those pages had no optimization value to rank it so high, but the one thing that their site had that I didn't was 10x more traffic.

Chopster, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  5. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    No, its not the traffic that determines your ranking. I could have 10000000 visitors arriving by email daily and google would not know.

Decent relevant content, navigation and lots of relevant inbound links should help.

Lisa,
    1. Use keyword text links for main navigation
    2. Put a decent title on the homepage. not http://www.sigmatool.com
    3. Link to http://www.sigmatool.com NOT http://www.sigmatool.com/index.html
    4. Use h1, h2 etc and put keywords in your image alts
    5. Use the keyword tracker to monitor your terms http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/keywords/
    6. Use the keyword suggestion tool to monitor your terms http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/suggestion/
    7. Build inbound links - use the digitalpoint advertising network, see my sig (take off everything from the ? if you dont want to use my id ;))

That should help..

Design Agent, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  6. stuw

stuw Peon

Best Answers:
    link-vault.com/?ss=1006 is a great way to build inbound links fast

stuw, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  7. Kaediem

Best Answers:
    Design Agent....

Thanks! I've made some of the changes you suggested and will work on some others - unfortunately, this being a corporate web site, the company owner doesn't want to do ads on the site and I'm not sure that I blame him - it somehow seems 'unproffessional' to me... am I being snobbish??? don't want to offend anyone but if you think of the big corporations like coke and pepsi, general motors etc., you wouldn't find google ads on their sites because they are selling their product on their site, not attempting to gain revenue from ads. kwim?

I think it's one thing for someone who has a site devoted to information putting ads on the site because the information itself won't generate revenue and people need to make a living but when you are trying to sell a product, that should be the focus of the page.

jmho. of course :D

In any case, thank you for your thoughtful response!

Lisa

Kaediem, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  8. timbo

timbo Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes Java is a pitfall when it comes to SEO. Search engines can't read Java at all.

timbo, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  9. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    kwim? I don´t know that one?

Anyway, there are more ways to skin a cat on the internet than you´ll find at the local abattoir. If you are uncomfortabe with joining a link network then look out for paid one way links. Look in the members list for Sandwalker. He has some good deals.

Are you sure that your customers are always and only searching for t-nuts or tnuts? Are you using both? Is there no more common name? I notice that one phrase that seems to pop up when searching for that is clamping kits. Google does have a clever way of theming sites and introducing clamping kits to your titles/body content might fix your position a little more clearly.

Lastly, your boss does not have to run ads but what he can do is create a section of complementary services and swap links with business partners.

e10, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  10. Kaediem

Best Answers:
    kwim = know what I mean :D

I'll have to check if "clamping kits" is actually related to t-nuts or would work for our company. T-nuts and it's variations are not the only word customers would use but it's a big one and one that we rank the worst in.. the other ones are all pretty good and doing a decent climb in the ranks...

Answering 2 posts in one - the Java stuff... I like pages that look nice so I'm taking steps to make sure that whatever is done in java is duplicated in text - thanks for that bit of info!

Next step... h1 tags!

Thanks all!

Lisa

Sigma

Kaediem, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  11. lurkster

lurkster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should try building external links using keyterms that you want to rank for. Google seems to be placing a large emphasis on this.

lurkster, Jul 19, 2005 IP