1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Unlisted from DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by grandmac, Mar 13, 2006.

I got listed several years ago with DMOZ, easily, and today I discovered I am not listed any more. I see no way in their system to ask why and have just re-submitted my web site. There was another company with the same name listed but in a different country. We were both listed before and now I am wondering if that presented a problem.
    Anyone able to shed light on why one would be de-listed if you have a good site?
    Thanks,
    Carol

grandmac, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  2. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    You are unable to get a definitive answer.

However, my experience is that most picnic and gift basket sites are not offering unique content, they are just resellers, drop shippers, mirrors etc. and are not listable.

As a test I randomly chose one item from your site, and in one minute was able to find exactly the same item word for word, same picture all over the place. Based on that my guess i that you are a drop shipper. However, it does not matter what I think since I never review sites that are gift baskets.

macdesign, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  3. grandmac

grandmac Guest

Best Answers:
    I do have my own unique gift baskets as well as drop shipped ones but none of my wording should be the same as anyone else's unless someone has copied or come close by virtue of it being the same basket, as I make up my own word copy and do not use supplied copy. If you wouldn't mind PMing me or emailing me and letting me know which was the same as someone elses I would appreciate it so I can change my copy.
    Thanks for your info.

4. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    You might want to look at copyscape to check for plagiarism.

Smyrl, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
  6. grandmac

grandmac Guest

Best Answers:
    I can see that there are getting to be way too many sites with the same baskets. LOL If I had it to do over again I would think differently about having a gift basket site with drop ship baskets.
    I appreciate all your input and will see what happens with my inclusion request, but if they took me off after being on for so long because of all the companies using the same drop shippers it probably doesn't look too good, even if I do have quite a few of my own baskets and different wording on the drop ship ones.
    Have a good day everyone,
    Carol

7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I guess it depends on how much business you get from them. You'd have to consider their impact on your business as a whole. A DMOZ listing is very minor when it comes to the bottom line.

sarahk, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  8. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Assuming you are that same grandmac from gifts forum - most websites from there wouldn't be listed.

A mere few of you own baskets doesn't really qualify as a store thus the reason you place dropship baskets in your store. [admittedly that is an assumption but a good bet].

I would say a "few dropship products" and overwhelming your own would likely qualify. It is easy enough to gauge any store's own samplings since 'dropship' product imagery are canned [each merchant having the original shots]... and so are descriptions.

fathom, Mar 13, 2006 IP