1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

United States Heading towards a Depression?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by decoyjames, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I hope you are prepared. About the math thing... the debt is now $16 Trillion. Who is going to pay?

Blue Star Ent., Sep 6, 2012 IP
  2. Blue Star Ent.

Best Answers:
    Plus, the Russians arent stupid. Here is what they are doing:

LINK

Blue Star Ent., Sep 6, 2012 IP
  3. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe Romney will get his cheque book out :D

On a serious note: food, water, gold and ammo people!

BRUm, Sep 7, 2012 IP
  4. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Watch and laugh
    [video=youtube;07fTsF5BiSM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=07fTsF5BiSM[/video]

Obamanation, Sep 7, 2012 IP
  5. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone learn or hear anything new last night from Biden / Obama? ;-)

grpaul, Sep 7, 2012 IP
  6. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Only 8% of that debt is held by other countries, Japan and China being the largest holders.

Who's going to pay?

The debt holders; Federal Pensions, Social Security and Medicare - the three largest debt holders.

At some point that debt will be forgiven and it those that bear the brunt of that debt are primarily those who paid into or had the government contribute to their retirement in some capacity.

I am not a federal worker, I do not pay SS or Medicare. That debt is paid by those that have a promissory note (e.g. I.O.U.) held by the faith of the US government.

Look, since 2007 the debt has been growing at a staggering pace. And since 2007 Democrats have been in charge of the spending. You want that debt to decrease? Stop spending. There's no more wealth to be produced or squeezed out of the rich, or anyone for that matter. That debt equals all of the monies grossed by all goods and services sold in the US by business (mostly SMALL business) in the US in one year. If you really think you can solve that debt problem by taxing the rich, you'll have to tax everyone 100% of all their gross income for one solid year just at the Federal level. That does not even cover the existing or new spending.

The solution the debt will eventually be default. Default of the three biggest debt holders. Federal Pensions, SS and Medicare.

Mia, Sep 7, 2012 IP
  7. Blue Star Ent.

Best Answers:
    Or, do what Iceland did, and jail those responsible.

The democrats already raided SS years ago.

Blue Star Ent., Sep 7, 2012 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    They continue to raid it to keep things going.... And all those Union workers pensions? Yep, that shits gone too...

Mia, Sep 7, 2012 IP
  9. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not gonna happen. Obama has accepted more Wall Street money than any president in history.

Didn't the Democrats borrowed against Social Security to pay for the Wall Street bailout?

Corwin, Sep 8, 2012 IP
  10. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    If Venezuela is any model, and it is, what follows is government seizure of private assets to pay it's debts.

Obamanation, Sep 8, 2012 IP
  11. Blue Star Ent.

Best Answers:
    ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

.[​IMG]

Blue Star Ent., Sep 8, 2012 IP
  12. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Rukbat: I agree with you. These vignettes of Romney are laughable. Remember, these guys who are idealizing Romney now all thought he was a waste a few months back. Essentially they hated him. They called him names, degraded him, put him down.

Now they are trying to make him look like a saint. So much for believeability.

I was interested in this little vignette. It is revealing in a lot of ways....

The first thing that struck me.....what the hell was Albertian thinking. The guy had a home loan from his former employer. Then he leaves the employer and in the words of the vignette..."he was poaching employees" from the ex employer. Frankly that was dumb and put his family at risk. Did he understand that? Maybe Staples promised to take care of him in the event the ex employer hit back.

The vignette doesn't tell us any of that. but either he was naive and dumb or staples promised to take care of him. We just don't know.

Secondly, if you research his name and check his bio you'll see that he started at Staples in early 1987 shortly after it opened and was ramping up. Check Romney's bio. You'll see that Bain Capital was newish then and hadn't done well. Romney's bio states that he was considering shutting it down. It wasn't working up to that point.

The vignette states that the guy went to his boss in panic, the boss quickly went to Romney, his "angel" and Romney quickly put up the money to take care of the guys home loan. Later Romney transferred the loan to Staples itself.

So that tells us....

Romney was damned wealthy. Not many people can come up with a $250,000 loan like that. It was 1987. Bain Capital was relatively new and unsuccessful up to that point. I guess either he was taking huge fees/salary from Bain, he had made tons of money before from working at Bain consultants (very possible) and/or that he got a lot of money from his daddy.

But we now know that Romney has been extremely wealthy for a long time.

Romney moved the loan later to Staples. We don't know when. It had to occur when Staples could afford to carry it.

Look, the incident was nice, but mostly it was about self interest. Romney needed Staples to work. Staples need Albertian, and Albertian needed the loan. And Romney was rich enough to solve the problem quickly.

That is business. I operate businesses. We do things like that in emergencies. Not of that financial scope. Our businesses are way smaller.

Meanwhile take a look at Albertian's business history available by looking up his name on google and going to linked in or business week. Albertian doesn't reference a business past before Staples. Can't say that I blame him. I'm sure the employer before Staple's would have nothing but bad things to say about him. After all, Albertian was "poaching employees" on behalf of Staples and thereby hurting the business that used to employ him and hurting the guy that gave him the loan in question.

If I were that guy, I would have called in Albertian's loan also. He was f*cking with my business.

All of that is business. It's not totally unusual. That is the way businesses operate. Businesses are not charity or saints or Mother Teresa's. But charities and saints and mother teresa's aren't businesses.

Businesses aren't nations. Nations are comprised of a lot of people of all sorts. Nations take care of people and give people an opportunity to grow, expand, do well, etc. If you are part of that nation that is taking care of you somewhat, you should be willing to contribute....like pay taxes for instance....something Romney doesn't seem to generally support.

In any case, the very mouthpieces here that are trying to describe Romney as a saint these days are the same people that couldn't stand him a few months ago during the primaries.

It makes one realize you can't believe anything they say or print when it comes to politics.

earlpearl, Sep 8, 2012 IP
  13. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Jesus Earl, you've been gone so long and now I realize why. You've been studying journalism at the Rachel Maddow Academy. I've never seen so many words reveal so little. What is the take away here.

1) Romney is rich
    2) Albertain poached employees
    3) People who used to hate Romney(me?) now sing his praises.

Yes. Romney is rich. So what. I didn't picture you as the type of leftist who demonizes wealth. Most people who have had money don't demonize wealth. What gives?

Yes Albertain poached employees. So what? Most people use the term "recruited", but you yourself admit that is a standard business practice. If he had a non-compete non-solicit contract, he would have been sued. From all I can tell, he was doing what every other business on the planet does.

No, I never claimed to hate Romney. I've always thought Romney was boring. I stand by that to this day. The fact the guy is a boy scout I find respectable. I think most people in this country who read these stories find his actions to be respectable.

What I am waiting for, which Rukbat completely failed at delivering, is even one such anecdote about Obama. One testament to his character as an individual. ONE. 1. Uno. Just one. Surely there must be some point in time where Obama gave of his personal time for someone. Please. Dig it up.

Obamanation, Sep 8, 2012 IP
  14. edasvangen

edasvangen Peon

Best Answers:
    God damn, can't believe this thread is still going, a lot of entertaining reading materials here! :)

edasvangen, Sep 8, 2012 IP
  15. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    O-Nation: After you and your buds on the radical right kept demeaning, criticizing, and attacking Romney for months...now, with these hilarious, forced little anecdotes you are trying to paint him as a saint.

Ha ha ha. what a crock. Is Romney the despicable candidate you painted him as just a few months ago...or is he a saint...as you are trying to depict him now? Which is it? Can we believe you now? Could we believe you before? Are you ever believable?

Now, quit trying to twist my language, as you often do.

Look, the vignette about Albertian is the one which is stark as a joke trying to depict Romney as a saint.

Albertian is simply embarrassed or wants to hide that episode from his past. He shows it himself in his linked in description which HE Created. He won't reveal who he worked for before Staples. He is embarrassed at the least

Hey he did something stupid, put his family at risk, turned on the guy who had given him an incredible perk. No wonder he doesn't want any potential business connections to know about it.

Meanwhile Romney was the only guy in the chain who could bail out Staples, this guy, and get staffing. He did it with money. Then he moved the loan over to Staples. Nothing at all saintly about that. Its business. Its part of the dirty underworld of business....wherein one business raids another business of talent, regardless of the consequences, who is hurt or harmed.

Frankly all that does is reinforce the picture of Romney as the candidate of the wealthiest of the wealthy, the most powerful corporate interests and screw all the consequences.

Is this done a lot? I don't know...but I do know incidents of this ilk often bring up law suits. Our businesses have not done this. Our businesses have extended loans to employees who needed them, when we felt it was necessary or appropriate. But we haven't made the loans to facilitate screwing a different business.

I didn't know Romney was wealthy in 1987 or when or how it occurred. Doesn't concern me. All I could see is that as of 1987 he was wealthy enough to immediately provide a $250,000 loan. Not many people can do that. Of course not many people pursue a business practice, wherein the only way to survive is to purposefully and knowingly screw the "other guy" deliberately and knowingly.

Romney doesn't seem to have a connection to anyone outside of the wealthiest of the wealthy. When he visited a NASCAR event while campaigning he let loose that he knows and is friendly with some owners.

Ha ha ha. How many of the millions of NASCAR friends are friendly with the millionaire owners??? Not many. Its an exclusive rich guys club.

Romney simply represents the wealthiest segments of the economy. Thanks for helping to demonstrate that.

earlpearl, Sep 9, 2012 IP
  16. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You do a good job of that all by yourself.

There is an old maxim that says people get angry when their prejudices are violated. Liberals like to paint conservatives, all conservatives, every single conservative, as being greedy and uncaring. It's a bigotry, yes, but at their core Liberals need to hate. Hitler understood this and says so in Mein Kampf - he targeted liberals by painting for them the Jewish people as evil greedy uncaring conservatives and the liberal Germans ate it up - it fed their liberal need to hate. And by that same German hate, Earl feels superior to all of us.

Now, look at what happens. O-nation shows definite, unbiased and irrefutable proof that Romney has helped those in need out of his own pocket in a Christian, unselfish and caring manner. This directly contradicts Earl's smug bigotry - which resulted in the tirade of hatred we see above.

Look at Earl's post above - no compassion, no love. He HATES that Romney helped those poor people. In every way imaginable Earl sincerely wishes that Romney had left those people to starve and die, lose their homes, so he could celebrate their pain. It's obvious in his last post. I'm not exaggerating - look at his last post - Earl sincerely wanted those people Romney helped to suffer. Earl the evil uncaring bastard.

In Michael Moore's book Stupid White People he talks about this, and how easy liberals are to manipulate - just play on their bigotry.

Corwin, Sep 9, 2012 IP
  17. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Thank you Corwin. I think you've summed up Earl's post nicely. I had planned on responding by pointing out Earl simply ignored my post to repeat his, but your response is probably a more accurate description.

I saw the author of this book on Book TV the other day and I was fascinated. If he gets any kind of readership in the black community, their situation would improve dramatically, and with it, the situation of the US.

http://www.amazon.com/Want-You-Shut-Up-Audacity/dp/0307986233

Earl/Rukbat, still waiting. One. 1. Uno. A single anecdote. Maybe a time when Obama's brother needed a few bucks because he is living in poverty and Obama helped him out. I mean sure, that would be a story that included self interest because failure to help your own family would just make you look like an a$$hole, but even such a story I would accept. Is there even a single such story that exists about this arrogant self interested prick of a president who is constantly telling the taxpayers what they need to do to help the poor (and his political campaign)?

To think the guy calls himself a Christian.

Matt 25:44-45

They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’​

Obamanation, Sep 9, 2012 IP
  18. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    You make me laugh Corwin:

Here are two of your quotes from DP about Romney:

Now of course you are twisting my language to suit your current perspective, while I direct quote you.

Are you believable? I doubt it.

If you want to know what I think about Romney from what I read I'll put it out here:

He is a good family man, a good husband, a good father, grandfather, and a good son. He is dedicated to his church.

As a husband/ family man compared to presidents from the past, as far as i can tell that makes him like Obama, Bush 2, Bush 1, Reagan, and Carter. As a guy dedicated to his church he seems most like Carter than any of the other guys referenced, at least IMHO.

He is an accomplished business guy in the field of leveraged buyouts. I don't believe leveraged buyouts is a good match for president at all. Its a totally finance based business. Its a fee based business and its focused on the financial side with none of the other considerations.

As Clinton described last week....its all about winner take all.

I described the scenario with the guy who poached employees from the employer who had given him a $250,000 home loan. Every piece of that story suggests Romney did it to step in and help Staples when they couldn't do it themselves, and help his "then struggling venture fund" which had had no successes yet (In Romney's own words). Later, as Staples grew, he turned the loan over to Staples--and he got paid ;).....

What is most revealing and deeply descriptive of this event....again...coming from one of the participants.....is that Albertian is trying to hide this event from his past.

Can't say that I blame Albertian....doesn't reflect well on him. It questions whether you can trust the guy.

Corwin: based on what you wrote in the past, wherein you criticized Romney...why don't you tell us in your own words why you think he is great now.

Frankly if anything the Albertian example is one that is representative of a Fortune 500 boardroom.

The stark evidence of over a decade of US economics since Bush came into office, passed his tax cuts, is simply that the economy in total has struggled, more people have lost, corporate America has benefitted, small businesses have struggled, and the wealthy have gotten wealthy.

I think you got it right about Romney the first time.

earlpearl, Sep 9, 2012 IP
  19. Blue Star Ent.

Best Answers:

While this thread should cover more of the greed that is used to bring humanity to its knees, liberalism has been found to be a disease by one doctor:

Sorry to repeat myself, but when a controlling group thinks they know better than those they control, and the controlling group is greedy, disaster happens. The controlled lose their liberty, their creativity is stifled, and things go downhill.

There are only two forms of government:

1. Think and act for yourself
    2. Let others think and act for you.

Blue Star Ent., Sep 9, 2012 IP
  20. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, you are going to have to explain that to me so I see it in the same clarity as you do. If the story is as you say it is, why didn't Romney use money from his venture fund? If Romney's motives were purely business, and if it is as open and obvious as you say it is, Romney could have easily made the case to his board that (according to you) this loan was made for business purposes, right? Why did Romney pay for this out of his OWN money? it's a business axiom "never use your own money".

And did Romney have the guy sign a paper for the loan? Yes? No? Why not? If this was purely business, seems to be a bad business deal if he didn't have the poor guy sign a loan agreement.

And, Earl, a request - please, dial down the hate? It doesn't convince, it hurts your position.

I have criticized every single politician I have ever discussed on this board. But, saying he is "great"? I'm not calling you an ugly liar, but please show me exactly where I called Romney "great". Please show me in my own words where I ever wrote that Romney was "great".

My positions evolve. Look at my early posts and you will see me praising Obama. But as we got to know him, I became disillusioned and criticized Obama.

I criticized Romney but based purely on O-Nation's stories my attitude has turned around. I think he is a good man, same as Obama. But Romney has experience Obama does not, and Romney has compassion Obama can't show.

Liberals, on the other hand, refuse to learn and grow. In gets in the way of their hate.

Corwin, Sep 9, 2012 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.