1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

United States Heading towards a Depression?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by decoyjames, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PioneerGold

PioneerGold Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can burn your bank statements, 401k/IRA account balances, ATM receipts, and debit card printouts. They burn just as well as cash.

It should keep you toasty for a few of those cold winter months. :)

PioneerGold, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  2. gauharjk

gauharjk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Now that the G20 meetings are over, the stock markets should going down again...

All the G20 nations want to do is print more money and SDRs. Commodities market is the place to be in....

gauharjk, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  3. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In 1979 unemployment was 5.8% and the rate of inflation was in the double digits. The lesson is that as long as the price of oil remains cheap and there is loose credit, the party will continue.

It wasn't until Paul Volcker started to tighten that the US had the double dip recessions of 1980 and 1981-1982.

During the Weimar Republic it was cheaper to burn money than firewood.

[​IMG]

bogart, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  4. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    The ultimate fix to the issues at hand in the economy is to RAISE INTEREST RATES IMMEDIATELY.

Interest rates should be raised to double digits. Doing so will stave off inflation, and bring our monetary system into check by raising the value of our currency. Its gonna hurt, but its the only real way to bring all this shit to a head.

At the same time the government MUST STOP SPENDING MONEY IMMEDIATELY. PERIOD!!!!

Problem solved. You all know where to send the thank yous!

Mia, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  5. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When do you think they'll raise them?

ncz_nate, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  6. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I was truly convinced it would happen last spring when I locked my barely used line of credit. I was in fear of having a variable on it, especially if I wanted to take out the cash. Stupid me, now it would be low as hell had I left it alone. No matter anyway, the morons at the bank closed the line to make their bottom line look good.

Note to self, next time you have a line, USE IT ALL before it gets shut down.

Any time in the foreseeable future? I don't see it happening as long as there is a moron the White house, and bitch for a speaker and tax cheat as treasurer.

Mia, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  7. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

The above is nuts. Right now the economy remains in free fall. Unemployment is up to 8.5%. The recorded recession is closing in on the 2nd longest in history. Auto sales in the US are at an annualized rate of less than 10 million. Last year 13.2 million new cars were sold and per Bloomberg...
    Right....high interest rates would simply kill auto sales....basically the largest component of durable goods and an employer of millions including direct employees of all auto firms (including foreign and domestic w/in the US) and all parts manufacturers.

Virtually any kind of consumer purchase involving credit would shrivel and die....as if things aren't bad enough. The business folks I know who sell items priced at ranges from the mid to high $100's and up and generally live off of credit sales would all die off. Yup. Good for the economy.

Some of the inventory of excess housing is being absorbed. Want to see that die. Raise interest rates.

Want to really expedite the crash of housing. Make it impossible to buy up houses through dramatically higher interest rates....and the loss in values we have seen to date will seem like nothing as housing prices totally collapse.

You like seeing people out of work? Go ahead and raise interest rates as you suggested and you'll be in 7th heaven watching people lose their jobs.

We do have an absurd amount of excess liquidity. It is scary scary scary. Here are scenarios that can kill the economy far worse than it is already:

Foreign investors stop buying American debt. Ugh....interest rates will have to rise through the roof. That will cause all the negative results described above. It could happen.

Inflation will occur because of incredible excess liquidity in the market in and of its own accord.

This will be mitigated by the following: 1. commodity prices are dramatically lower around the world due to the world wide recession. All mineral commodities except for a few (gold) have had huge price decreases because of demand and supply. 2. Lower wages. High unemployment means lower wages. hmmm You were sitting pretty making $80/hour //$3200/week//$160,000/year. Now you are out of work and can't find anything at all. That guy is going to take cheaper work....any work in a second.

1. I'd get people back working .....

2. I'd emphasize development of non oil energy....every which way possible which makes most sense. The day we seriously cut back on imported oil is the day we see some greater level of American economic freedom. I'd invest in this stuff....and see if it can become an export business. America desperately needs to change its balance of being a buying nation rather than a selling nation.

3. Figure out a way to cut the costs of health care. I don't give a rats @ss if it is called socialized medicine/f*ck the doctors/f*ck the insurers/f*ck the medicine providers or what. Health care sucks dollars out of pockets like it is going out of style. Its a miserable system.

4. Cut govt expenses. Here I agree w/ Mia. None of the pols are really for cutting expenses. I guess the only guy who is for this is Ron Paul.....and he is as likely of being elected as another famous Texan--Anna Nicole Smith (okay his chances are better than hers).

I'd cut defense procurement. Per Pentagon auditors at GAO (written 3 days ago)....
    Aggregate cost overruns exceed $1 trillion. That isn't how much the systems cost....that is how much extra they cost over initial budgets. This has been going on unchanged for years. (something is f*cked up in Dodge)

Then I'd beat through the govt....like Obama said he was going to do....not what he did with the $410 budget continuation bill that passed.

I'd cut govt cr@p. I'm not sure where....but I'd cut. (I'd probably try and figure out a way to keep Cheney from getting any kind of govt pension money...:D--wouldn't be big...but it would be fun--:D)

Once the economy is moving out of recession....job growth is occurring..not shrinking then I'd attack the excess liquidity w/ slowly higher rates. But I would never touch it now....with things as bad as they are.

earlpearl, Apr 3, 2009 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  8. PioneerGold

Best Answers:
    Could you imagine an environment where credit is drying up (today's situation), then raising interest rates, which removes cash out of the economy?

So no cash AND no credit for the average joe.

I wouldn't be surprised if that led to riots and threats of overthrow of the government.

It would probably begin a complete breakdown of the social fabric.

PioneerGold, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  9. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

No, no, no.. This the longest recorded doom and gloom fest in history. Raise interest rates, stop spending. Problem solved.

Let's move on.

Things are not that bleak. But they will be if action is not taken with regard to interest rates.

Mia, Apr 3, 2009 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  10. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That would be correct if the government would let the market work. Their intervention in not allowing certain companies to fail and bad debt to be liquidated is going to exacerbate and prolong the credit correction.

Bernard, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  11. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I am not sure if I am stupid. Have read journals, reports, whatever on Obama's administration official position on bailouts and the trillions of dollars of spending and those who support as well as opposed his policies. There are enough Nobel Prize winners on both sides on the fences as well as many in the middle.

My humble opinions are that you really can't spend your way out of troubles and as at now, the USA had basically spend all the hard ended money of the rest of the world that was being kept as USA reserve currencies. You do need to repay these and I feel that the countries won't be pleased that what they had put in had depreciated a lot due to the new trillions on dollars on the market.

The problem is every country seems to be quite happy with the exception of China and Russia. Am I missing something here? The stats does point to a deepening recession, with the occasion growth spikes due more to stimulus than bona fide growth. But G20 seems to be partying and every additional trillion spent seemed to generate more euphoria in the newspapers rather than fear.

wisdomtool, Apr 4, 2009 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  12. PioneerGold

Best Answers:
    Spending is not the solution.

Just like Bush, Obama will use the Federal printing press to basically appropriate the value of every dollar China, Russia, OPEC, and other nations has without invading a single country.

Unfortunately, it also robs every American here of their wealth as the Federal government spends the dollars we've saved.

And, where does all this money go? To the banks to save them from bankruptcy and their own incompetence.

Bailouts & bonuses to the people who got us in this mess. It is not a path to success. Thank you Bush & Obama.

PioneerGold, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  13. domainer_10

domainer_10 Peon

Best Answers:
    I was originally against the banker bailout, but I think that if we didn't save the banks last fall the whole entire financial system would have collapsed cause of all the toxic assets worldwide. Because worldwide people don't have FDIC and there would have been tons of runs on the banks worldwide and since there isn't enough money to backstop it all it would have wiped us all out too.

Supposedly when lehman brothers collapsed there was a "run on the banks" worldwide in the money market funds until the fed reserve put a guarantee up hours later.

Where I draw the line is just handing out the money just for the sake of handing it out to the banks without any strict accounting and also for the stimulus bill, mortgage bill, auto bill, etc from obama. I also think the printing and borrowing of money by the fed and lowering interest rates is the wrong direction to take. Its time we shrink our government instead of expand it and make credit tight so we don't try and reinflate the bubble, unfortunately what we are trying to do now.

domainer_10, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  14. PioneerGold

Best Answers:
    Let the banks fail.

Why are they so much more important than the average taxpaying citizen?

The worst that would have happened is the government would have to shrink, the national banks would disappear, and wealth would go to the producers (rust belt, farmers, energy) and not the paper-pushers (Wall Street/Washington).

The local banks didn't create this mess. It was the paper-pushers in the national banks.

PioneerGold, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  15. domainer_10

domainer_10 Peon

Best Answers:
    But my point is that it would have created a mass panic and brought down everyone eventually. Like a domino effect. No one can prove it would have, but I sort of see it as have been at least possible. Even though the bailout didn't really "solve" anything, I think the fact it stopped a bank panic was what it was to acheive. With that said the way its been done was a joke. Paulson was giving money left and right. He should have only given it to banks that had major systemic risk and took them over and nationalized them and cleaned them up like a receivorship. Yeah I know its not capitalistic to take something over, but the government does when a major industry is bankrupt. Letting them continue on as business as usual while getting bailed out is the real crime.

domainer_10, Apr 4, 2009 IP
  16. PioneerGold

Best Answers:
    Banks are not entitled to exist. If they get to break the rules, break the law, and be incompetent, what hope is there that the US can ever recover from this financial mess?

A failed bank is a warning to investors, customers, and society that idiocy (not matter how well compensated) will not be tolerated.

The way it is now, the Federal government is holding the country hostage via the national banks.

Believe it or not, life will go on if Bank of America, AIG, Chase, and Citbank disappear. The US survived quite fine without these failed operations. Just like life went on after 9/11.

It's the Federal government response that makes things infinitely worse (bailouts and war).

PioneerGold, Apr 5, 2009 IP
  17. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've been following this thread for months now.

It is very interesting to watch it evolve.

But at the same time I'm shocked at some of the ignorance and blind stupdity some people express...

The majority opinion doesn't necessarily make it the right one. For anyone who wants to understand better about what is going on - do your research! Open your eyes and don't let yourself be blinded by politicians nice talk or by opinions and viewpoints in mass media.

giorgioarmani, Apr 7, 2009 IP
    bogart likes this.
  18. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    He's promoting his site and a new book, but I understand that his credit ratings are some of the most trustworthy in the business:

JPMorgan Chase, Goldman Sachs, Citibank, Wells Fargo and More Than 1,800 Other Institutions Believed to Be at Risk of Failure Based on Fourth Quarter 2008 Data

Bernard, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  19. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Part two of Jer's solution to everything.

Less Government = better government.

(if there is such a thing)

Mia, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  20. korr

korr Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think the historical record supports this... I've been digging into prior bank panics and 2008 makes 1876 or 1890 or 1907 look like a walk in the park. (These are the pre-FDIC, pre-Federal Reserve panics we're supposed to be afraid of).

Thing is, we do have the FDIC now - and it would have been cheaper to shut down the banks and pay out those guarantees. The movement of deposits to safer local banks and credit unions would have strengthened the already strong banks, and allowed them to expand credit creation.

We have a system designed to deal with panics - and we ignored it while insiders like Paulson & Geithner came on TV to threaten us with doom & gloom. The extraordinary reaction of government has probably contributed to the magnitude of the panic.

No... the planes weren't going to fall from the sky if we didn't pay off the billionaires.

korr, Apr 8, 2009 IP
    bogart likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.