1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

United States Heading towards a Depression?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by decoyjames, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smatts9

smatts9 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If this mess compares to anything it compares best to 1873.

smatts9, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

What will make it worse, or at the very least a repeat of past history is democrats throwing more gas on the fire. In other words, this spendulous bill.

Its quite apparent that the markets do not like the current administration. Its even more apparent that most of the country does not as well.

Mia, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  3. domainer_10

domainer_10 Peon

Best Answers:

I know there was a major depression during that time, but did we even have a central bank during that time? I don't think we could compare to that far back, I think thats going a little too far back to look for an anology? I mean were much more global and bureaucratic to name just a few major differences, than we were in 1873. I don't know though maybe you could tell us why you think that.

domainer_10, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  4. korr

korr Peon

Best Answers:
    1873 is a terrible comparison!

America did fine during the "long depression." By the end of the period, America had the world's highest standard of living, industrial output, and per-capita GDP.

Sure, there was some deflation, but our banking system wasn't leveraged to the sky so the major result was that people experienced rising purchasing power.

(It sucked in Europe, there were massive crop failures and big banking problems over the pond)

korr, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  5. domainer_10

domainer_10 Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought Britain had the highest standard of living and industrial output until the 1940's? I know it was a superpower until then anyways.

domainer_10, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  6. korr

korr Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe if you're counting everything in her colonies, as well.

I checked out the Wikipedia page to make sure I wasn't going crazy, and there seems to be a whole boatload of revisionism going on there. Wiki says "America did worse" and blames Republicans, but at the time Europeans were calling it "the great American Commercial Invasion" because our industrialized agriculture was bringing food and hydro-carbon fuel to Europe at rock-bottom prices. This was a benefit to England who quickly grabbed up our exports, but it was disasterous for Russia and Central European nations that weren't industrialized to the point they could compete. There were some major crop failures in Europe as well, while a flu pandemic did a number on Americans.

I guess if you imagine the USA was the China of the late-19th century... and modern America is more or less in the position of uhhh... the Habsberg empire

OK Maybe its not such a bad comparison :D I just have to look past the surface a bit and realize America isn't in the same relative position this time around.

korr, Feb 15, 2009 IP
  7. domainer_10

domainer_10 Peon

Best Answers:

I count everything under britain control. You really can't exclude all the territoties they controled because that is what made them so powerful. The U.S sort of became a superpower in some similiar ways. It first started when we stoled and exploited from the native americans and blacks with slavery and bought/stoled the u.s land piece by piece from other countries.

domainer_10, Feb 15, 2009 IP
  8. leandar

leandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    leandar, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  9. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    see the date....:D.

sachin410, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  10. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The Crash of 2009 Is COMING To YOU!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDEe0Ai6lTM

The situation leading up to the current crisis is very similiar to the situation of the Great Depression where the FED helped prop up the stock bubble in 1927. Kind of similiar to the actions regarding the housing bubble.

But I don't beleive that we could have another great depression. For one, the kind of deflation that we had in the 30's is not possible considering that we are no longer on a gold standard.

One factor that killed the economy in the 1873 depression was horse flu. Horses were too weak to pull wagons and even the US calvary had to fight the Indians on foot.

The 1873 depression was also caused by deflation in that silver coins were pulled form the money supply.

bogart, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  11. leandar

Best Answers:
    yes one year ago started that Subprime problem

this thread is also 416 days old now

leandar, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  12. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Japan's GDP fell -12.7% in he 4th Qtr. of 2008

Houses aren't liqiud assets. It takes awhile for prices to correct.

bogart, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  13. leandar

Best Answers:
    look 3,000 cars abandoned in Dubai

Police have found more than 3,000 cars outside Dubai's international airport in recent months.

When the market collapsed and the emirate's once-booming economy started to slow down, many expatriates were left owning several homes and unable to pay the mortgages without credit.

http://www.dubaisharetalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=9458

leandar, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  14. leandar

Best Answers:
    leandar, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  15. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Actually that "Subprime" thin has its origins in the Carter days. See also, CRA, and Clinton. :D

Mia, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  16. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Roubini's 2009 outlook is for the S&P 500 to fall to 625. S&P futures are - 17 and the S&P 500 is currently at 802.

The State of California is planning to cut 20,000 jobs.

GM and Chrslyer are out of money and need $9 billion more.

The US is doing better than Japan in any case. Japn GDP was -12.7 in 4th Qtr 2008 vs the US GDP of -3.8%

bogart, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  17. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Meanwhile revenues for retailers are up. Wal-Mart's sales are up. My sales are up. Tens of thousands of small businesses sales are UP. Fuel costs are DOWN.

California? Good move. Get rid of state jobs. They cost us money.
    GM, Chrystler? Fuck em. They cost us money. Er, let me rephrase that. Fuck the labor unions that control them. Then GM and Chrystler can survive, without government aid. Problem is, the labor unions and the government are in each others pockets atm.

The US is doing pretty well right now. There are several sectors that are booming, and several areas that are rebounding. This "spendulous" bill however is going to kill any positive gains. What we need is for Odumba and Pelosi to leave things alone for a change. Personally I'd rather fund these stupid trips that retard takes on AF1, then pay for this crazy spending bill.

Setting up task forces, think tanks, focus groups. What a moron. I thought this guy was a lot of things prior to getting elected. Now that he's president I'm finding out he's just a run of the mill idiot.

We in the small business sector need relief. If my taxes were cut, I could hire two full time employees TODAY!!!!

If interest on lines of credit were lowered, I could hire yet another. Job creation occurs our sector, not in government spending.

Of course Obama has no way of knowing this given he's spent most of his life on welfare or with his hand out or in the pot. All we are going to do with this continued spending is breed more Obama's and more handout cases like this scumbag
    [​IMG]

Mia, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  18. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't hold back, Mia. Tell us how you really feel.

All joking aside, I agree with you 100%. I thought some people would wake up by now and realize they were sweet talked into electing Obama, but people still thinks he's God and going to fix everything.

Sad...

Firegirl, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  19. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I think at this point about 50% or more of that "54%" has come to that realization. Another 25% or just dumbfounded. The rest are waiting for their handouts!

Mia, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  20. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pshh you optimist. At least 90% are still sleeping (and waiting for handouts), HOPEnosis is a tough spell to break.

ncz_nate, Feb 17, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.