1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Unique site - how to optimize?

Discussion in 'SEO' started by softcontest.com, Oct 13, 2004.

I have an unique site that has kept me busy for the last couple of months. It's only two months old but it already has a PR5, so I must be doing something right.

However, I'm receiving no traffic from search engines, and the problem is that I don't know what keywords I should target. The site doesn't really seem to fit anywhere, and the keywords that I thought of are too competitive to get near of.

I haven't focused too much on SEO at the beginning and have only started doing some in the last few days, but I'm not sure on what keywords to focus.

It's not always a good thing to be unique :)

(I think you should be able to figure out what site I'm talking about, not sure if I'm allowed to post it here)

softcontest.com, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    How can it be unique and competitive at the same time?

T0PS3O, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  3. softcontest.com

softcontest.com Guest

Best Answers:
    The keywords are competitive because they are not really 100% relevant to my site. And the ones that are, suffer from lots of irrelevant results, thus too competitive (if competitive == number of results), so many that I'm not sure I can get on top.

And about 'competitive keywords', I'm talking about keywords such as 'free software', which may match the site to some extent but... there's no point in optimizing for, because of the high competition. :)

As I said, problem is that I can't think of any good keywords I should target. And the site itself is not competing with anyone, it's just competing for SERPs.

4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Optimizing for irrelevant phrases is like carrying water to the sea.

If Google reckons the anchor text is BS compared to the page's content, it is likely to devalue the wight of those.

I think you need to do more KW research. Drill down to the 3, 4 and 5 word phrases and you will find some gems lying around, easily optimizable for page 1 results with decent traffic.

T0PS3O, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  5. softcontest.com

softcontest.com Guest

Best Answers:
    Take this for instance:

http://www. google.com/search?hl=en&q=full+version

16,100,000 results, but none of them is relevant to the query, I believe my site to be more relevant than any of those sites even though the query isn't too explicit. But can I compete with those authority sites?

http://www. google.com/search?hl=en&q=win+software

8,540,000 results

http://www. google.com/search?hl=en&q=win+programs

4,670,000 results

All of these are irrelevant, so having my site up there would be a good thing for Google, wouldn't it? :)

Hmm, come to think of it, I think I found some of the keywords myself. Now if you can suggest how to 'conquer' them, it would be great :) I never did SEO before... I have read a few articles though, so instead of giving me links to articles, if you can give some real advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Edit: sorry about the google search links, I'm not allowed to post live links.

6. softcontest.com

softcontest.com Guest

Best Answers:
    No no no, that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm a 'white hat' seo (I believe that's how you guys call it :)), I don't see the purpose of spamming the web just to get on top. I believe there are other ways to do that, add more content, make the site more attractive, and try getting real links from real sites instead of registering hundreds of domains and creating bogus pages.

I can't find the keywords that 100% define my site though... so by what you call 'irrelevant', I was thinking of optimizing for more 'general' keywords. But relevant nevertheless...

7. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Well, if you have decided on the KWs then the #1 way to get to the top for those is to get tons (literally hundreds, better even thousands) of links pointing to your landing page for each KW with THAT PHRASE/THOSE WORDS in the anchor text. Very important!

All other factors have a marginal influence on your SEO efforts.

T0PS3O, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  8. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Tops is right, you need lots and lots of back links with the anchor text of the key words you want to be found by. I have four sites I can offer links from if you have some place where on your site where you're linking out. It's a start.

mopacfan, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  9. vlead

vlead Peon

Best Answers:
    Keywords like "full version", "win programs" and "win software" are too "wide"! I think you need to drill down deeper. You might find the keyword suggestion tool useful.

vlead, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  10. vlead

vlead Peon

Best Answers:
    I can use the backlinks... what are you sites about?

vlead, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  11. softcontest.com

softcontest.com Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks mopacfan, you have PM :)

So, there's no way to get that amount of links without going the 'black hat' way, is it? :( Would forum posts with a signature count as 'good' links? :)

12. softcontest.com

softcontest.com Guest

Best Answers:
    Heh, I see this got moved to Website reviews. Pulled it off with only 9 posts so far, including this one, out of the 25 required, even though this wasn't my intention :)

Now that we're here... any thoughts on the site? :)

13. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    There is but it's long winded and takes sheer determination, motivation and dedication. Also note that if yuo provide good content, links follow automatically.

Start with DMOZ, that should give you a few hundred to start with (once approved after a year or so). Submit to all free directories. Yes use it in your signature, they are good even though they probably don't count. They will get you spidered though.

Look at backlinks of your competitors and ask all those sites to consider you as well.

After that...

Get another 1000!

T0PS3O, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  14. softcontest.com

softcontest.com Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't have competitors... :)

15. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Everybody has competitors - think of it this way - if they don't get it from you who will they get it from?

Seems like you are giving software away so how about "free software" - then drill down such a Free Windows Software or the like

How you offer it is irrelevant (ie: win it)

Free is big on the internet don't you know..

leeds1, Oct 13, 2004 IP
  16. softcontest.com

softcontest.com Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, I know. I specified in a previous post that a keyword such as 'free software' should work wonders.

However, the term 'free software' is used very much in relation to 'open source software', so I'm not sure about its relevance... and ranking in top10 for it would be a huge accomplishment for a real SEO, so it's clearly out of reach for a newbie like me.