1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Unique Page Titles

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by danpadams, Mar 5, 2005.

I was curious, on the page of www.infochi.net what can the rest of you guys suggest as far as improvements. Whatever is mentioned, I may not be able to implement immediately, but I will at least take into account.

Part of what I am curious of is in another thread I read about having unique page titles, do I follow along well with this? Pretty much what I have is a site title, then the page title as part of the title. Is that good, I thought it was.

danpadams, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  2. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Change the meta description tag to be more keyword rich on the subject, not the site itself.

Anchors and alt text should be keywork rich IMO too. Instead of say "Pricing" perhaps "Webhosting Pricing" would serve the purpose better. People search for wehosting pricing, not pricing.

Hope that helps, I'm just a beginner, but I think I'm starting to "get" it.

noppid, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  3. danpadams

danpadams Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, in my case as with the way I have this site organized, I would need to make the page titles more descriptive, for example - webhosting pricing rather than just pricing, would also change in the title. Any other suggestions?

4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    You can do better on the titles.

The web is devided up in pages not sites (as far as Google etc. are concerned). So eacg page should really be unique from the other. Next to off-page SEO (links) the Title appears to be one of the most important 'identifiers'.

Your titles differ from

infoChi Christian Computing - Product Design Showcase - Editor Help

to

infoChi Christian Computing - Product Design Showcase - Providers

etc.

This means that out of the 60 or so characters only 10 change. Instead of being unique, they are VERY similar. Also, unless branding is an issue, no one will ever search for "infoChi Christian Computing - Product Design Showcase" or part of it. You will want the title to just be keyword as searched for according sources like Overture Inventory or Wordtracker.

Your pages are pretty low on content as well.

The menu (which disappears depending on which link you follow) is a bit confusing as well.

I'd space the body text a bit away from the nav divider as well.

T0PS3O, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  5. noppid

Best Answers:
    I would change the nav bar anchors too. I'm not up on the christianity terminolgy. I guess those words could be cool keywords, but can you expand them so a regular joe like me knows what they are? I gather concordance is bible quotes? Then when I get there, it's titled "information database", that means nothing to me.

I hope I don't insult ya, I should not be playing the role of critic yet. :)

noppid, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  6. danpadams

danpadams Peon

Best Answers:
    Part of the reason why I choose to use the terminology of "Christianity" and "Religion Database" - what at the moment is "Concordance" is because the "Concordance" does in fact hold info on groups on than just Christianity.
    Actually you aren't playing critic, but you are playing helper, and I appreciate this. To me the concordance that I have up there, is sortof managed as a seperate website compared to the site I posted the link to. It does help me think about many things.

7. noppid

Best Answers:
    Well my point was kinda that we all know what out site is about, but what about strangers? If that is a target at least.

For experts it's most certainly to the point.

noppid, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  8. danpadams

danpadams Peon

Best Answers:
    Upon these suggestions, I am already thinking of changing that one from "Concordance" to "Religion Database" but also to keep the other category as "Christianity". Inside the concordance itself I will probably label it as "Religion Database - Concordance"

Any other ideas?

9. danpadams

danpadams Peon

Best Answers:
    As with many other sites on the internet, I and others choose, although SEs see it otherwise, to have my websites organized as sites, as each page in the site does have a fair amount in common with the other sites.

I have also seen a lot of sites that use some sort of titling scheme like this. Also, if someone does find even 1 page in my site through a SE, then I would want them to see the infoChi name at the beginning.

10. noppid

Best Answers:
    I too wanted certain things in my title, but I'm not sure if what I'm trying fits the suggestion above.

I use the title as two parts in most places maybe 3 in some...

Unique Text - site name keyword(s)
    Unique Text - site name keyword(s) - sitename

My thinking was the weight is on the beginning of the title and in my case the beginning would change on every page.

In my glossary I use...

Keyword

only for the title and the name of the html page.

noppid, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  11. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to add padding pretty much everywhere - in many places your text touches borders. Your logo needs antialiasing - its borders are too jagged to look at. Also, keep in mind that if you use this on a commercial website, you'd be in trademark violation.

J.D

J.D., Mar 5, 2005 IP
  12. danpadams

danpadams Peon

Best Answers:
    So are you suggesting:

Editor Help - infoChi Christian Computing - Product Design Showcase

Rather than

infoChi Christian Computing - Product Design Showcase - Editor Help

I think that makes a good amount of sense, do you agree?

13. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    It's not a good idea to use the sitename of your site in your title at all.
    1- you're using valuable keyword space and
    2 -if someone doesn't know the name of your site how are they going to find you?
    3 - you'll come up with your sitename in searches because of your url.

flawebworks, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  14. noppid

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the heads up. Unique titles it is then.

Regards

noppid, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  15. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    Take a look at your bookmarks - they are all titles. Now imagine a bookmark that you made a few days ago that says:

Editor Help - Product Design Showcase

You'd have to click on it to see what it is about. Some kind of site identification (company name, domain name, etc) must be present in a title.

J.D.

J.D., Mar 5, 2005 IP
  16. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    Take a look at my titles from my bookmarks - just a sampling. None have the domain name or company title in them; yet they tell me exactly what I need to know:

Help with a mod_write a directory script.
    web hosting affiliate programs
    Small Business Internet Tutorials for Ecommerce Entrepreneurs - Domain Names
    Converting HTML to other formats
    Overture- Search Term Suggestion Tool
    Avoiding Bad SEO Advice

<edit> well; except for overature....(blush)

flawebworks, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  17. danpadams

danpadams Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with JD in that some sort of company name should be present in the title, for example on my site, the phrase infoChi Christian Computing is always there. If as a user I do not want it in the bookmark, then I can rename it, but for when just adding the bookmarks quickly, at least it will help me remember whose site it is.

18. noppid

Best Answers:
    I think that counting on the end user to do anything is a losing battle. If you want it correct, make sure the automated ways of doing it get the disired result.

noppid, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  19. danpadams

danpadams Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreeing with JD, I'm saying the automated way would produce the desired result in getting the full title, including site/company name in the bookmark. What I was saying about the end user, is that if they do not want the infoChi part in the bookmarks, then they can edit them. What would be desired is to have them remember the infochi part as that is also the domain name.

20. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't you think this is better?

mod-rewrite.com - Help with a mod_write a directory script.
    actualaffiliate.com - web hosting affiliate programs
    affiliateprograms.com - web hosting affiliate programs
    website101.com - Small Business Internet Tutorials for Ecommerce website101.com - Entrepreneurs - Domain Names
    W3C - Converting HTML to other formats
    Overture - Search Term Suggestion Tool
    seochat.com - Avoiding Bad SEO Advice

For example, "web hosting affiliate programs" is bookmarked twice. Without identifying the site, how would you remember where's this bookmark from?

J.D.

J.D., Mar 5, 2005 IP