1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Unique IP Address Advice

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by oziii, Jan 11, 2005.

I'm sure I've seen this topic somewhere here but can't find it.

I have a network of sites on one domain that link to one another. Is there any conclusive proof that I would benefit from setting them up with unique IP addresses?

Some of the sites are established - would there be any cost in moving to a unique IP address approach to my current standing on Google and other SEs?

Appreciate your thoughts.

oziii, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Dont fix what is not broken. If your happy with your current SE rankings just leave it.

dcristo, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  3. oziii

oziii Peon

Best Answers:
    I was happy - but the last update saw me drop incredibly on Google. Lost two thirds of my traffic - wondering if this might help.

oziii, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  4. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't agree, you've got to keep moving or others will run you over or pass you up :)

exam, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  5. my3cents

my3cents Peon

Best Answers:
    I am a believer of keeping all my sites on separate IPs. That way any cross linking is undisputable. If it is cheap, I would recommend it. My provider only charges me $1/month for each extra IP.

my3cents, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  6. oziii

oziii Peon

Best Answers:
    ok - so if its cheap (I can get it that cheap too my3cents) and it seems to cut out some of the problems that might pop up with shared IP - if I move to a unique IP address system will it disrupt my current standing in Search Engines making the move? It might be a dumb question but I've not had any experience with hosting setups.

ie - if I were to change domains I'd be starting from scratch with my sites in terms of SEO - does changing IP address have any similar consequences?

oziii, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  7. Lucky Bastard

Lucky Bastard Peon

Best Answers:
    When people mention unique IPs, do you mean unique c-class/blocks, or is a change in the last digit enough, eg:
    203.11.232.23 etc.

With my host (sagonet) I get 10 free IPs like above, would such a change be enough or does it have to be more unique.

Lucky Bastard, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  8. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    C Class IP's is what ppl talk about when it comes down to unique IP's for the purpose of crosslinking.

Just having multiple sites on the one IP doesn't hurt - only crosslinking.

The reason I look at things like host exchanges (swapping hosting accts with resellers) is because even with unique IP's, you really need different DNS' to be fully certain. (I've heard that G can simply associate by DNS - ie multiple doms on different IP's but all handled by the same DNS - a dead giveaway) ;)

If you can buy your IP's cheaply enough, and cross-linking is important to you, then I'd prolly get them.

Cheers

JL

john_loch, Jan 11, 2005 IP