1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Uniqe pageviews vs visits (Google Analytics)

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by Maciej Ziemczonek, Apr 1, 2008.

Hi!

I've been trying to learn the difference between "uniqe pageviews" and visits when it comes down to an unique URL (I am using Google Analytics)

Google says that: "A unique page view represents the number of sessions during which that page was viewed one or more times." (http://adwords.google.co.uk/support/bin/answer.py?answer=57164)

In my understanding, for an unique URL, the number of pageviews should be equal to the number of visits. However, in my case it is always (meaning - for each unique URL) different. The number of visits is bigger than the number of unique pageviews.

Could someone explain it to me? I have reported it to Google, got some feedback (ther are checking on it), yet they haven't come with an answer yet.

Perhaps you might have an idea for this situation.

Thanks in advance.

Maciej Ziemczonek, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  2. manish.chauhan

manish.chauhan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It could be only if number of unique visitors are less than returning visitors..

manish.chauhan, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  3. Maciej Ziemczonek

Maciej Ziemczonek Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Manish!

Thanks for your answer, but I need more details. I do not understand the link between the situation I describe and your answer. Besides, how can a number of unique visitors be lower than the number of returning visitors. Unique visitors are returning and new visitors added.

If you meant new visitors, not returning visitors - I still see no correlation. As far as I know, visits and pageviews are counted the same way regardless of whether the visitor is new or returning.

Maciej Ziemczonek, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  4. manish.chauhan

manish.chauhan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You mean to say pageviews should be equal to total visits??

manish.chauhan, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  5. Maciej Ziemczonek

Maciej Ziemczonek Peon

Best Answers:
    No, I mean that there is no difference in the methodology of counting visits and pageviews when a new or returning vistor comes to the page.

A visit is a visit always, just like a pageview. When I enter the page twice during the day (10 am, 2pm), GA will count me once as a new visitor, and once as a returning visitor for that day. GA will count 2 visits and the number of pageviews will be equal to the total amount of pages I will see.

My question focuses on the reason for such a discrepancy between unique pageviews and visits for A SPECIFIC url. According to my understanding of GA terminology, they should be equal, or there should be not big difference between them.

Maciej Ziemczonek, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  6. waynemoussalli

waynemoussalli Peon

Best Answers:
    sounds interesting please post reply when received from gogle :)

waynemoussalli, May 17, 2008 IP
  7. dmivie

dmivie Peon

Best Answers:
    I am looking forward to the explaination on this too. I know it is probably a really simple thing, but I too am a little confused.

dmivie, Feb 22, 2009 IP