1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Unexplainably odd SERPS phenomena

Discussion in 'Google' started by Will.Spencer, May 19, 2004.

For the last few weeks I've been running a "Check All" on the Digital Point Keyword Tracker on one of my web sites with just over a hundred keywords in the morning and in the evening.

Odlly enough... my SERPS seem to be down in the morning and up in the evening on a very regular basis.

It causes me to wonder if perhaps Google massages the SERPS one way over night and massages the SERPS another way during the day, perhaps to make the best use of limited server/cpu/memory/database resources.

I have no explanations, just this odd observation.

Will.Spencer, May 19, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's not just you... I see it too. But I don't have any explanation either.

digitalpoint, May 19, 2004 IP
  3. hexed

hexed Peon

Best Answers:
    So you're the guy who's making the server run really slow ;).. few hundred? :p

Shawn's going to have to upgrade the server to a 4 cpu xeon soon :p

Hexed

hexed, May 19, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hehehe... server isn't anywhere remotely close to being overloaded. It could probably handle 250,000 users (it just broke 10,000). :)

5. hexed

hexed Peon

Best Answers:
    Good stuff Shawn. Sometimes the server goes ..real.. slow though. I'm not sure if it's just my connection because I've never pinged.

Usually my cable connection is pretty good and doesn't drop many packets or have high latency though.

Hexed

hexed, May 19, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It seems like sometimes Google is throttling API requests.

7. hexed

hexed Peon

Best Answers:
    I was looking at my SERPs thinking, yeah, he's right.. they are going down this morning. Then i was thinking, well, it's prime time in Europe right now.. i wonder if their SERPs are rising?

Does it make sense that america's SERPs would fall as the Europians would rise during their prime time? And vise-versa in the night for us and the morning for them.

I term this, the Hexed Effect.

hexed

hexed, May 20, 2004 IP
  8. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    FYI FWIW: Recently, I think (!) I've noticed a similar behavior overnight (I'm on Mountain USA time - GMT-7). I have an automated check-all early in the morning ... and the last few days, I've seen a lotta RED ... so I figure, allright, Google clobbered me. But then just for grins, I click on a few of the keywords to get updates (during the day), and they "bounce-back" to values more similar to what I'm used to ... but then the process repeats itself the next day.

It is a little wierd, and I emphasize the "think" above since there is a normal rumble and I believe there is a pattern - I wouldn't even had brought up if others had not mentioned.

Guess I rank better on Google during daytime USA hours?!? ;-)

alek

hulkster, May 21, 2004 IP
  9. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    I love the terming hexed. lol. Ive noticed the same fall and rise phenomonononon- ill quit.

schlottke, May 21, 2004 IP
  10. rickbender1940

rickbender1940 Guest

Best Answers:
    Exactly what I see! At approx 1am EST the results are usually down across the board. By about 4pm EST they're back up to "normal". And this happens every day without fail for the past 2 weeks that I've been noticing

rickbender1940, May 22, 2004 IP
  11. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    My experience has been that at the small hours of the morning, i often see SERP rises, sometimes so remarkable as to be shocking. A couple of weeks ago, one of my sites, normally about #30 for its keywords, was #7, and stayed that way for as long--that night--as I cared to look. Next morning, of course, poof. But I have seen smaller but significant rises at about the same hours many a time. (I'm in the Pacific Time Zone).

Owlcroft, May 22, 2004 IP