1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Understanding Secondary Keywords - Free On-Page SEO + Tool

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Andrew Futcher, Feb 27, 2013.

Off the bat, let me say that SEO is something I am quite passionate about and over the last few years I have seen how Google have played their cards, compelling many businesses to depend on pay per click for their online income or simply pricing them out of the market (especially small businesses). So while I don’t blame Google for this approach, they do whatever they think is best for them (and indirectly their users), I do believe there should be balance to any equation (calls to mind the ‘absolute power’ adage).

Sadly with Penguin and Panda this balance has been tipped rather unfairly in Googles favour, and something needs to be done to re-tune this imbalance. Of course I don’t have all the answers, but I am prepared to share with you the answers I do have and the discoveries I have made thus far...

So I offer this to any interested members of the Digital Point community;
    • Pick any webpage URL you like, and choose the keywords you want this page to rank well for.
      • For example: myrandomdomainname.com/domain-names/ and you want that page to rank well for the keyword ‘best domain names’.
      • It can be any website (homepage or subpage including optional parameters) and any keywords.
    • Then I will publically discuss and show you what content changes can be made to best improve that webpages ranking (using only white-hat methods below) for the keyword you have chosen.
    • It is then up to you if you would like to make the changes to the sites content and see the difference for yourself the next time Google re-indexes your page.
    Let me tell you a little more about the white-hat techniques I will be discussing;
    1. Secondary Keyword Relevancy.
      • We all know the basics of primary keyword relevancy; using the keyword in the title, etc... But what about secondary keyword relevancy?
      • The trick is knowing which secondary keywords you should combine with each primary keyword and which you should stay away from.
      • Even sometimes spelling mistakes can have an improvement on rank. (example: if have a laundry service, the common misspelling of lanudry is a beneficial secondary keyword some countries/markets – trick is knowing which ones)
      • I will also be touching on secondary keyword positioning (I see it was called keyword proximity in another thread) and how that affects results too.
      • You don’t have to take my word for it either; I will show you how you can confirm if the word is good or bad yourself using Google Search.
      • Google’s own official guide claims that relevancy is the #1 factor in determining rankings.
    2. Negative Secondary Keywords.
      • Just like there are positive secondary keywords that improve rankings when combined with the right primary keyword, there are also negative secondary keywords that actually harm ranking.
      • (and just like point no.1) I will show you that you don’t need to take my word for it either, using Google Search I will show you how you can confirm the negative keyword for yourself.
      • Negative relevancy can be quite astonishing because sometimes quite simple words can have negative effects; the words aren’t always so obvious.
    3. Duplicated Content.
      • Ever since Panda, duplicate content has been hit hard in the rankings and tools like copyscrape are not sensitive enough for heavily contested markets.
      • It’s not just if you have some duplicate content on your site, it’s if you have duplicate content that contains your primary (or secondary) keywords that really hurts!
      • I have found even tiny ‘chunks’ of duplicate content only a few words long found over multiple competing domains that caused a pages primary keyword to be compromised, devastating its ranking. (two words were changed, the sentence was split and restructured and it went straight to the first page)
      • Ill show you how you can spot duplicate content (for free), and find *which* sites your content must not contain duplicate primary or secondary keyword sequences from.
    The thing is; there ARE words sitting on your site right now, understanding how each of those words affects the pages “relevancy” and consequently ‘rankings’ is of paramount importance, this experiment shows you how you can be sure those words help the page ranking, not hinder it...

So take me up on my offer and give me a URL and a keyword you want to rank well for. My advice on all things ‘relevancy’ is free and I promise you I won’t bite. (=

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    Andrew Futcher, Feb 27, 2013 IP
    coloma21 likes this.
  2. coloma21

coloma21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hey great stuff man, i can tell your just as passionate about SEO as me lol!

But yea, Google has gotten a bit too greedy, especially with the way they've positioned their ads. It's like it takes up more than 1/4 of the page 1 screen now :( .

Only way to fight back is through SEO to a certain extent! :)

coloma21, Feb 27, 2013 IP
    Andrew Futcher likes this.
  3. Andrew Futcher

Andrew Futcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    Let me give you a real/live example to get the ball-rolling. I have recently changed my my own webpage and I have not yet fully optimized my relevancy yet so this provides the perfect opportunity to show you what I am on about...

So the report I'm doing is for: www.qubot.com.au for the search keywords: keyword relevancy.
    Geo-targeting customers from the USA (quite a trick considering my domain is a com.au).

Okay, so here is the report Queue options all filled in; I then click ‘Queue with Qubot’.
    [​IMG]

Here is a screenshot Qubot showing me Positive ‘Secondary Keyword Relevancy’ that my site is currently missing;
    [​IMG]
    You will notice there the suggestions are sorted by ‘difficulty/value’, and the bold words are the important ones in the second column. The first suggestion seams ominous as one of the keywords is a competitor (samurai) so I probably wont use that keyword, but there is a second keyword Qubot is showing me right next to it; [ ? QA ? ] the fact that Qubot has put two red question marks either side and its indicator that you really should look into that keyword. So let me Google QA Keyword Relevancy. Whoa; it turns out that the keyword QA is part of an entire field of study that is part of Quality Assurance (see for yourself on google). Because all the people in that field who use Google and search for keyword relevancy are often talking about "quality assurance", this makes that word *very* valuable on my site where I am trying to rank well for Keyword Relevancy. So I am adding the keyword 'QA' and 'Quality Assurance' to my site now...
    Another interesting word there is gold? So I Google Gold Keyword Relevancy, and there it is; Golden Rule! Another valuable word that I am adding to my site, another word people would type into Google when looking for keyword relevancy. There are other valuable words in that list there but let’s do them one at a time so we can see the difference they make slowly.

In conclusion:
    The point I am demonstrating here is that with a bit of research (and Qubot can make that a lot easier for you) you can improve your content relevancy and make your on-page content. And making your content more relevant WILL improve your sites rankings.

I am willing to share this entire report with you so you can see where I got this information from (seeing as it is a report on my site), click the link: here.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  4. Andrew Futcher

Andrew Futcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    You took the words outta my mouth man! In a free market economy there needs to be balance... Good competition means 'customers' always win, monopolies are always bad for everyone in the long run.