1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Understanding Html and CSS

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Florin Pop, Apr 17, 2013.

I've learned the basics of the Html and CSS and I've created a login page, but I don't know what to do next, where to find project to practice?

Solved! View solution.
    Florin Pop, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  2. jamjar919

jamjar919 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Create a page for yourself. Make your own website, even if you don't upload it. It's good practice.

jamjar919, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  3. Florin Pop

Florin Pop Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not really so creative, i could use some photos to turn them intro html/css code:) this would work well, but idk where to find such thing

Florin Pop, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  4. Xandra Tabilon

Xandra Tabilon Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Are you working on this offline?

Xandra Tabilon, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  5. rypher21

rypher21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try visiting w3schools. It's an online tutorial for different programming languages. You can practice your html and css skills there. :)

rypher21, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  6. muffet

muffet Active Member

Best Answers:
    Build a website for yourself. You can find images on Google images and click "Save Image As" --make sure they're not copyrighted images--to use or you can purchase images from paid image photo sites (e.g. iStockPhoto) as you code your first website. You should reference http://www.htmldog.com/ if you get stumped and ask any questions here on DP. You can download eBooks covering different programming languages from Amazon to your Kindle, if you have one or other tablet.

You can also find free templates or themes online and make changes to them and view the results in all the popular browsers to see & learn how each browser renders html & css code. Finally, you should download XAMPP and install it on your Mac or Windows on your computer's local host (server) first then do what I suggested above.

muffet, Apr 19, 2013 IP
  7. goldenprince000

goldenprince000 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Congratulations on learning html + css, you can polish your skills and practice it at w3schools.com its best place to learn any programming language.
    Apart from that to practice your skills, just go to some decent website and try to RECREATE it offline for practice purpose, see what features the site is having, and create it in your own website.
    If you are really serious with practicing and polishing the skills, then i will give you FREE (no string attached / as a helping tool to let you pass through the learning curve) web hosting space to practice uploading your site and executing it over internet (For practice purpose).

goldenprince000, Apr 21, 2013 IP
  8. Florin Pop

Florin Pop Member

Best Answers:
    I want to start to convert PSD into HTML, some advice?

Florin Pop, Apr 25, 2013 IP
  9. frankmust

frankmust Member

Best Answers:
    there is so much youtube tuto about psd to html but if you cant get it i will help you pm

frankmust, Apr 25, 2013 IP
  10. Florin Pop

Florin Pop Member

Best Answers:
    Can someone give me some psd files so i can convert them into HTML/CSS? Because idk which one to choose :)

Florin Pop, Apr 26, 2013 IP
  11. Env o

Env o Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Try to make practical websites and solve problems.

Env o, Apr 26, 2013 IP
  12. goldenprince000

goldenprince000 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, you can get help from following links. (Im not associated with any of the link.)

Try to search for "PSD TO HTML" on youtube: you will get lot of tutorials to do that. here are few links to help you.
    youtube.com/watch?v=QY7bDBGncXo
    youtube.com/watch?v=09BVFJl2dYI

Try to search for "Free PSD templates" in google: you will be getting 1000s of templates from just 1 or 2 sites. here are few links to help you.
    freepik.com/free-psd/web-templates
    templatemonster.com/free-psd-templates.html

I again repeat that i am not concerned with any of the links listed above.

goldenprince000, May 1, 2013 IP
  13. HussainMHB

HussainMHB Member

Best Answers:
    I'd personally say w3schools is the best choice.
    There you can take test online with their online coding.
    Then you can create your own with you different ideas.
    I hope it helps...

HussainMHB, May 1, 2013 IP
  14. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, don't! Starting out from some goof assed picture of a fixed width layout is the road to complete and utter failure, no matter what any of the artsy fartsy types will try and tell you.

Semantic markup of your content FIRST (or a reasonable facsimile of the content), then bend it to your will with CSS to make your layoutS (yes, plural) using semi fluid elastic responsive design, then and only then do you start up the goof-assed paint programs like Photoshop to make the graphics you hang on the layout.

Starting from a PSD is putting the cart before the horse, and I've never seen a website designed with that approach that was worth a flying purple fish in terms of accessibility!

Oh, and as to the train wreck of bad advice known as W3Schools...
    http://w3fools.com/

"best choice" my ass. People are dumber for W3Schools having even existed!

deathshadow, May 1, 2013 IP
  15. Peazz

Peazz Member

Best Answers:
    Hi mate

I went through a brief period where i liked doing online interactive tutorials, Google 'Codecademy' they have a variety of tutorials ranging from Web Fundamentals (html,css) to javascript and jquery.

Its a nice concept, although not extensive its defiantly something to practice in spare time, it also show's you what is potentially possible with web development code.

When i started out, i spent a lot of time trying to develop a theme for public release on themeforest, it pushed me to analyze other modern websites and incorporate ideas from many source's and make them my own

Best of Luck

Peazz, May 1, 2013 IP
  16. Florin Pop

Florin Pop Member

Best Answers:
    Yea, I finised all HTML and CSS tutorials on Codeacademy :)

Florin Pop, May 2, 2013 IP
  17. Florin Pop

Florin Pop Member

Best Answers:
    How can I test myself now to see how much HTML and CSS I know? When can i start learning Javascript?

Florin Pop, May 5, 2013 IP
  18. cadsii

cadsii Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You don't test, just keep writing, coding takes time to perfect and get a process down, one you do then you can optimize it.

What you know today is going to be obsolete in a year probably. Best way is to stay upto date on new web developments as they arrive. I read 2 hours daily, its a part of the business.

cadsii, May 8, 2013 IP
    Revelations-Decoder likes this.
    It is indeed -- the day you think there's nothing new to learn is the day the rest of the world leaves you behind -- and like anything else to become a true master it's practice and study, practice and study. Coding can be a lot like music that way, study the theory, practice the application, lather, rinse, repeat.

For example, I spend an hour every night before bed reading the manual at PHP.NET beginning to end, and by the time I reach the end there'll be new stuff to learn from a new version. Also helps to read ALL the comments on the functions/classes/methods there as you'll often read about a solution to a problem you haven't had yet -- which is great because when you do see that issue farther down the road, you'll go "hey, didn't I read about that already?" -- you don't have to remember the exact code or solution, you just need to know "hey, there's an answer already in the manual for it.

Part of why I try to help people on these forums too -- other people often encounter different problems than you'd come up with yourself; While quite often problems people have around here can be boiled down to "Doctor, Doctor, it hurts when I do this", the cases where it can be fixed the mere exercise of doing so can teach you more in a week than you'd get from years of throwing money at educators -- most of whom aren't qualified to open their mouths on the subjects they're teaching.

deathshadow, May 8, 2013 IP
  20. drumzz

drumzz Peon

Best Answers:
    Next step will be to learn JavaScript (jQuery).The modern front-end web development will be HTML5, CSS2/3 and JavaScript.If you want to expand your skills with some backend technology as php or ruby on rails it will be nice.

drumzz, May 8, 2013 IP