1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Underlining hyperlinks -- should I not do this?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by jackburton, Feb 18, 2005.

I never really considered NOT having hyperlinks underlined, until I saw a site that didn't use it. It looked reallycool! They had a lot of links, and without all the underlining, it actually looked quite clear and crisp. I'm thinking about doing this with my own site, but I wanted to get opinions. Should I? What are the drawbacks? Positives? I know it'll make my site look less cluttered, especially on the pages where I have a lot (as in a few hundred) links (no, it's not a link farm, it's an archive to individual pages). But then again, new Internet users NEED underlined links to know that it's a link, right? And not having underlines might confuse them.

Thoughts?

jackburton, Feb 18, 2005 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Depends on your audience. If you get not-so-savvy users, stick to underlined links. Makes navigating a lot easier.

If you do get rid of them, make sure they still stand out.

T0PS3O, Feb 18, 2005 IP
  3. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if you are going to scrap underlining, make sure you do it with css,
    otherwise mozilla will put them straight back again.

GEM

Solicitors Mortgages, Feb 18, 2005 IP
  4. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    Ya, to make sure users still know its a link, simply change the font-weight to bold, or change the color a bit.

I like having links that only underline on rollover..

Josh

Josh, Feb 18, 2005 IP
  5. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that it depends on your audience and how you set it up. For one of our sites we "Do" underline hyperlinks and for another we "Do Not".

With that said... when a visitor views our site which "Does Not" underline hyperlinks I don't think it will take him/her too long to figure out what's going on.

We've set up our CSS so that the links are traditional Blue and bolded to stand out against the Black text. When the visitor hovers over a hyperlink the text is underlined and the color changes to red.

So far, we haven't had any visitor mention any difficulties with this set up.

ResaleBroker, Feb 18, 2005 IP
  6. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bernard, Feb 18, 2005 IP
  7. jackburton

jackburton Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I'm going to keep the underline. A large portion of my visitors aren't "tech heads" and they might get confused.

jackburton, Feb 18, 2005 IP
  8. nullbit

nullbit Peon

Best Answers:
    I think underlining is unnecessary with standard-blue links, as these are almost universally recognised. Any other link style depends on your target audience, as others have said.

nullbit, Feb 20, 2005 IP
  9. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    Underlining may be omitted where it's obvious that any text can be clicked on (e.g. navigation menus). When a link is in the middle of text, removing underlining will make it harder to see whether it's just a highlighted word (it's quite often used in docs) or a link.

J.D.

J.D., Feb 20, 2005 IP
  10. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I can't understand why people wouldn't underline a link. Isn't that what a web page consists of? A page without clear links would really confuse me.

fryman, Feb 20, 2005 IP
  11. Smart Links

Smart Links Peon

Best Answers:
    i would keep an non-underlined links in blue so users know its a link. yahoo does this i think.

Smart Links, Feb 21, 2005 IP