1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Unauthorized PayPal Charges

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Sour, Nov 1, 2007.

Somehow my PayPal account was used for a bunch of unauthorized purchases. I'm assuming one of my friend's had a trojan/virus/keylogger/whatever on their computer when I logged onto my PayPal from their house. Well, last night my debit card was denied at the gas station so I logged onto my Washington Mutual (my bank) account and it said I had a balance of negative fifty-ish dollars even though I actually had like $183. I thought it was just an error with WaMu's site until I checked out my PayPal account. I have four unauthorized charges on my account for a RapidShare account, two other file-share accounts for $200 each, and they tried buying something else (couldn't figure out what it was) but that one didn't go through.

I called Washington Mutual and they said there's nothing they can do until the transactions go through on Nov. 5th. I filed a dispute for all four transactions with PayPal, and that seems like the most I can do. Luckily all the things they purchased were just memberships so hopefully that'll help in my favor since nothing physical will be lost.

Anyone else have any input on the matter? Is there anything else I can do? Do I have a good chance at getting my money back? My PayPal account was empty and my bank account only had $200 in it (regardless of their $500 charges).

Sour, Nov 1, 2007 IP
  2. MrBrian

MrBrian Active Member

Best Answers:
    Paypal often refunds the money if the xfer was fraudulently made. They can detect if it was made with an alternate IP address and other methods. They almost always reverse the money and if they can retrieve it from the account (which i assume they can since the purchase was from rapid-share), you will get your money back. I don't think your bank should have said they can't do anything either. If it was an unauthorized/fraudulent charge, they should be able to reverse it.

MrBrian, Nov 1, 2007 IP
  3. izeaus

izeaus Banned

Best Answers:
    Most of the people who report unauthorised payments do get their money back. Paypal has some techniques which will let you get you funds back . SO be sure that you log on to Paypal from your home only

izeaus, Nov 2, 2007 IP
  4. Stones

Stones Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, its good that you had a debit card was in your account or else it would have got WORSE. Paypal will refund the money back in too your account as long as it was unauthorized charges as you stated. If paypal does not refund your money than the next thing to do is call WaMu and have request a chargeback , which they will honor. PayPal really has no choice but to give back your money, so your good. If one of your friends did this then they arent a "friend". Good luck.

Stones, Nov 2, 2007 IP
  5. leroyboseevus

leroyboseevus Peon

Best Answers:
    Ring up your bank and dispute it there. I wouldn't rely on PayPal, they are abysmal.

leroyboseevus, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  6. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have the same to happen to me - paypal will refund. I would call them asap to get the ball rolling..

FOX LORE, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  7. pharcyded

pharcyded Peon

Best Answers:
    Paypal will clear things up for you. Sadly...the thief has already used the services and got what they wanted out of it. I hate that people resort to phishing/trojan viruses to purchase things for themselves. In the future just don't log into your paypal unless you are on your own PC. That way your account won't be compromised.

pharcyded, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  8. KatieBands

KatieBands Peon

Best Answers:
    I just had the same thing happen to me. I knew it had to happen to somebody else. Luckily, I have an iPhone and it sent me a bunch of e-mails telling me that I had made two $200 purchases, I got online to look at my PayPal and see what was up, they made another $200 purchase while I did that! I changed my account information right after the third purchase, so the charges stopped. Two were off my debit card saved on my PayPal, one was off of my credit card saved on my PayPal account. Two were made to "Tagged, Inc." and one made to "gWallet, Inc.". Both said in the payment description "For 400,000 Gold". I'm assuming it's some hacker that plays WoW. I don't play it, but my boyfriend does and I know enough by his habit that the currency is gold, and that people actually spend real life money on it, sometimes, and then auction them. Never thought that game would actually come in handy in the relationship...

Anywho, PayPal has refunded me one of my transactions so far, ruling in my favor. They better refund it all. I think it's pretty obvious they were all fraudulent charges. It's only less than 24 hours after it happened so far, although.

It's definitely not just your friend. There's nobody who has access to my computer. I live with my boyfriend, who doesn't even touch my computer, and we don't really invite people to our house.

KatieBands, Mar 8, 2011 IP
  9. D00MR4ZR

D00MR4ZR Member

Best Answers:
    You will get your money back for sure!

D00MR4ZR, Mar 9, 2011 IP
  10. GlobalMailer

GlobalMailer Peon

Best Answers:
    Cancel Paypal they are a joke for a business! The word scam comes to mind anytime they are brought up!

GlobalMailer, Mar 15, 2011 IP
  11. JullMc

JullMc Peon

Best Answers:
    Someone used my paypal account to make $100 in charges and Paypal wouldn't do anything. They said, "Maybe you should just use your credit card instead of Paypal." I couldn't believe that response!! My bank won't do anything. I posted at they fotum and at http://www.vcharges.com/paypal-inst-xfer-b8. Any other ideas?

JullMc, May 24, 2014 IP
  12. Guide

Guide Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Always chargeback through your bank.

Do not go into discussion with other parties than your bank.

Guide, May 24, 2014 IP
  13. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    paypal has little to do with this, of course you can declare to paypal that it was fraud.
    But you should be calling your bank, which you obviously have done...
    Now run virus checks on your computer, then change all your login passwords, bank, paypal, etc...

dscurlock, May 25, 2014 IP