1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

UKwizz new Uk engine

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by ukwizz, Dec 5, 2004.

1. ukwizz

ukwizz Peon

Best Answers:
    Well if a site owner takes the time to find a suitable category and adds their site then i an very grateful but why shoudl they insist on a direct link?

The directory is nothing more than a directory. Outside factors are outside factors, nothing more.

You make it sound as if I owe the site submiters something for adding their sites? it doesnt benefit me one way or the other. We are just thinking about this from different points of view.

I accept that to an extent people who are hunting down links are to a large extent looking towards the larger picture. pagerank link count ect. What you have to remember is the directory os part of UKWizz not a pr tool ect.

You also mentioned the term linkfarm. Not quite sure where you get this from. but a link farm generaly is there to benefit the domain behind it.. explain to me again how i benefit from it in any way?

What I offer is a free directory listing, nothing else. I dont require payment, recip link or anything else. Most accept it as such.

HI tony84
    You where asking about a music category...
    http://dir.ukwizz.com/Arts_And_Music/Music/

:)

UKWizz.

ukwizz, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  2. vincentg

vincentg Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is no difference between a link based on an ID or Direct if the website has a text display of the URL on the page.

Having hundreds of links showing up in google for click4choice.com is more than enough proof of this!

First you enjoy a category listing such as Modern Technology!
    http://www.google.com/search?q=modern+technology&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&start=20&sa=N

Second you get a link listing
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=cw3host&btnG=Search

So get you facts straight before you knock the way a directory works

Vincent Click4choice.com

vincentg, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Nonsense.

Show me that proof if you can please. It will be interesting to see.

T0PS3O, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  4. vincentg

vincentg Active Member

Best Answers:
    From AWStats November:

Links from an Internet Search Engine - Full list
    - Google 5114

The number is rising to over 6,000 this month and I expect it to go even higher still in coming months.

This number would have been even higher but since I redesigned the website totally a short time ago 70% of the SE links were shot to, well you know where.

The links are steadily increasing and google bot is a full time guest as are others in my directory.

First let me point out what is important!
    The main reason to be in a directory is for traffic - not PR!
    PR is highly over rated and even Google is claiming it is for entertainment purposes and not to be taken as a serious factor.

Now as for traffic - there are many directories out there and most of them will provide no traffic.

DMOZ is a perfect example - great PR and zero traffic.

The Web is filled with experts that claim to know the answers and those that follow waste time and money.

Traffic is king and it takes hard work to get it and listing in the right places.
    What is a right place - answer is simple - a place that sends hits and not promises of a higher PR that does absolutely nothing for your website what so ever.

Unless you are in the scam game of selling websites for inflated prices because you have such a great PR rating in Google.

Vin

5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Looking at traffic, no, there is no difference. But I don't want a redirect either. Just like you say, most directories give you F all traffic. So the only incentive is a good anchor text relevant link. That link plus many others help in ranking well (if they aren't a dodgy redirect). And SE rankings happen to bring in over 90% of our visitors so that is why it DOES make a difference. And to traffic as well. But not direct traffic from that directory.

T0PS3O, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  6. vincentg

vincentg Active Member

Best Answers:
    OK

Back to direct link.
    The cw3host example has no direct link yet it's there!
    There are many others also.

One of the things that helps is a detail page - one page dedicated to the single website.

I think the Thumbshots also are helpful since they do have an internal link but I can't say for sure that it does.

Now each link has two or more chances of being picked up.
    But there is no guarantee a site will be picked up no matter what - direct link or not.

I find that sites listed in the top ten have a better chance of being picked up on a directory list.

The SE's have a system and if a site is listed in a directory it has a good chance verses a link farm.
    Of course links from other related websites are always best.

What you fail to see is the link works both ways.
    A link for xyz site is not only a link to xyz site but also to the place where the link is.

Now for google to send over 5,000 unique visitors to click4choice there must be a heck of a lot of links out there since click4choice does not rank well for high traffic keywords such as "Directory" or "Web directory".
    No we look at categories - can't be all that traffic is due to every category in click4choice being listed - I don't have that many categories.

Not one search query gets more than 50 hits as a norm with many getting around 10 on average.

You only have to do the math to see that sites are listed as linking to the directory which has no direct links.

Vin

7. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I don't quite follow you...

When stating examples it would be handy to have full URLs. Just saying " The cw3host example" doesn't show me anything because I can't find it. When you display a G search URL, tell me which ranks to look at and which ones have no direct links.

And when you mention sending traffic.. Do you mean directory to site in directory? Or google to directory or google to site in directory?

I'm lost...

T0PS3O, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  8. vincentg

vincentg Active Member

Best Answers:
    when you have a link listed in a SE such as yahoo or google that link is a two way link. Both benift from it!!!

I wouldn't put a high priority on direct links - it's not important and again the math on the numbers shows it in my case and I do believe other good directories which track click through activity also will have similar results.

Yahoo does not have direct links - are you suggesting they are a bad directory and Search Engine due to this?

But getting back to the main topic which is UKwizz - Alistiar has done a fine job so far.

UK Wizz has shown good results and his promotion has also been fantastic.
    UKWizz has only been in operation for a short time and it's already doing very well as far as traffic goes.
    And for those that believe in PR it has already at PR 5.

The effort that goes behind the project is unfortunately never seen.
    I commend him for a under taking that has merit and the choice of technology used to bring UKWizz to life.

Vin

9. vincentg

vincentg Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is my last post on either subject.

I have told Alistiar that I will use a search feed for my UK Website.

So by next week hopefully Click4Choice UK will have results by UKWizz.

I rather see a unique Feed such as that Alistair has put together rather then some bottled Feed that people can get anywhere.

The current search used right now was an experiment using Google which will be replaced.

Now I just did a random search in Google from results from my US directory.

These are the results:
    --------------------------------
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=copyright+witness&btnG=Search
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=copyrightwitness&btnG=Search
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=djmandy
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=free-people-search-online
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=gkindia
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=jarrellaudio
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=jarrell+audio+concepts&btnG=Search

As we can clearly see both the Title and URL shows up.
    For those that are still non-believers you are welcome to pick any link you want and search it the same way.

Another point which is interesting is "jarrell audio concepts" which ranks better in the listing than for his own website!

This proves that direct link theory is nothing more than utter nonsense.

Vin