1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

UI oppinion needed

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by grobar, Jul 23, 2006.

I need your oppinions on a UI debate that I can not reason one way or another for an ecomm site.

The question relates to a form, for registering for, and updating your account.

i use vbscript for validation, so if the input doesnt comply, it kicks back to the form page, with fields in place (except password) and with the error highlighted in red.

The form also has a captcha at the bottom, that would have to re-entered on subsequent tries if there are errors.

The question is whether i should also highlight the now empty password fields red, and the empty captcha fields red as well - since the users attn needs to be called to them, as well as the area where the errors occur. what do you all think?

grobar, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  2. candidindia

candidindia Peon

Best Answers:
    As you are already highlighting the error in red, just include withinin the message that captcha and passwords need to be re-entered.

Highlighting too many errors sometimes has an adverse effect on the visitor

candidindia, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  3. Xig

Xig Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally I agree with the other opinion - they should be highlighted red as they need to be re-entered before the form can be submitted. I have seen many people get confused when "stuff they typed in" just "disappears" for "no reason".

On a side note, any kind of client-side scripting for form validation isn't recommended. It can be disabled (preventing validation, or in some cases preventing submission at all) or played with. If in doubt, never trust client-side :)

Xig, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  4. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks folks - so thatsd a 50/50 vote so far - anyone else?

grobar, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  5. TechnoGeek

TechnoGeek Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello, grobar.
    It has occurred to me that, when filling a form and having made some mistake, the program sent me back to the form and some fields where erased while others were not. In those circumstances is very easy to correct the mistake and submit the form again without noticing the missing fields. I therefore find it nice to the user to alert him by some way or another of any field that must be filled again, thus avoiding an additional unsuccessful submittal. You must, however, ensure that the fields your program erases are not mistaken for erroneous entries, as this will confuse the user.

TechnoGeek, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  6. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

How do you suggest this be done without inundating the user with messages? Currentl, i message the specific error ONLY also highlighting the affected field red.

I only hightlight the missing fields (password and captcha) in red, but give not messaging. I guess I could do a bullet point messaging outlining what had been enteterd eroneously, and what is simeply needing re-entry.

Thanks for the feedback and ill post the form when done so you have a look

grobar, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  7. TechnoGeek

TechnoGeek Peon

Best Answers:
    If it is absolutely necessary to erase some fields (by design or programmatic reasons), I think than an informatory message is in order.
    It could be something like: "You have made some mistakes. Correct the entries marked in red. Also please re-enter (here include the list of things that should be re-entered but were not in error)."
    This message should be located at the top of the page so that the user can't avoid reading it.
    Good luck.

TechnoGeek, Jul 25, 2006 IP